HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Okay to herbicide and fertilize in the same day?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM
hossdaniels
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to till again or not. I might do it right before I plant. I'm planting Biologic Shot Plot (2 bags for a 1/4 acre) and may just broadcast it before a heavy rain. It says on the bag that all it needs is soil contact to germinate.

I'm going to weed it clean because like a moron I didn't herbicide the plot again after I limed it and the weeds exploded. They're very tall and very thick based. 4 of us are going to go pull them all out and throw them off to the side. If I sprayed them the herbicide wouldn't reach the stuff at the bottom because of how tall and thick it is right now. And I don't want to mow or weed eat it because then it would all be on the soil I'm going to plant.
If you dont till again, make sure you have good soil contact. I use a drill, but few folks are lucky enough to have one. A cultipacker should work OK, but a drag might not do a good job. Make sure that you have a clean seed bed(i.e. not laying on top of a bed of dead crabgrass) if you are broadcasting the seed.