Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
how to attract deer to your food plot >

how to attract deer to your food plot

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

how to attract deer to your food plot

Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default how to attract deer to your food plot

how can i get the deer to come into my food plot i think there might be some deer out there but i put a trail cam out today to find out. any tips on how to attract them to come in more and in the daylight hours. it is a mix of different clovers. thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

I think you need to get between them and the food for your best shot. Unless you catch a big boy with something else on his mind, only youngins are coming out in the wide open in daytime. Be sure not to hunt it too often. Some folks refuse to hunt foodplots because they feel they should be safe spots for deer. I dont think I'll go that far but they are generally way over hunted. Its a good spot to watch in the chasing phase of the rut, other than that try to hunt closer to the bedding areas. Atleast you will know which they are going, that is the hard part.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

The only thing that I can say. Is to stay out of the plot or even around it, stay as far away as you can. That wont make them come to it if there is something else that they want to eat right now, but it will help with them coming in during the day time. Good luck and keep with it.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Spike

Setting up a mineral lick near the food plot has worked well for us, especially the mineral powders that they can smell for miles. It will bring in the deer to the plot and help them find the food. Our most-grazed plots are the ones right next to established mineral spots. We use Whitetail Institute 30-06.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Honestly I think that summer food plots are overhyped. In the majority of the areas during the spring/summer the natural/native forage that is available is preferred by deer and is just as or more nutritious to them. I concentrate more on fall to spring plots when the natural food is less available. I'm not saying not to plant them if you want to, just that they are not as cost effective to the deer.