Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Throw-n-Grow

Old 07-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Spike

Default Throw-n-Grow

has anyone used this stuff?
I purchased a bag and it says to put around your tree stand...anyone tryed it?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

you shouldn't have wasted your money on it. if your lucky you'll get rye grass to come up.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Yep waste of money. Mostly annual rye grass with little to no benefit to deer. Basically the same as contractor grass mix, becuase it probably will grow damn near anywhere. That's different than it drawing deer in to your spot. Try some oats next time. Deer like them and they are reasonably easy to get up with only a backbone, a little sunshine, and a rake.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by pse_hunter
has anyone used this stuff?
I purchased a bag and it says to put around your tree stand...anyone tryed it?
The throw and grow is cheap and you get what you pay for when it comes to cheap seed at Wal-Mart. Now I have given it a try and I have had it to come up. But the one thing about it is that it's mainly annual rye. If I suggested Rye grass to a person that is wanting something fast then I would tell you to spend the extra dollar and buy Marshall or the Gulf brand they are near the same and they come up quick. Most of this type of grass is planted on golf courses and deer will eat it only cause they may not have anything else to choose from. But in my mind I will tell you that annual rye is mainly for cattle or horses. But I have done a lot of reasearch on many types of seeds for wildlife and I will say plant something that is going to last you. Yes It may cost a bit more but in the long run it is cheaper. But if you have to plant it and you would like to see the other seeds come up also based on the spot you plant put out 25 to 50 lbs of 13-13-13 fertilizer and 50 to 75 lbs of Lime. You can never have to much Lime when you don't take a soil sample.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

100% waste of money... Like everyone else has said the only real production you gain from this is in rye, which you can buy for much to nothing alone.. I had some of the other seed come up but not to my liking!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Spike

I saw the Throw and Grow and Wally world yesterday and wrote down the main seeds.83% Rye Grass,9% Browning Rape and 3% Clover.Price 9.97 for 5 lbs.
They had 3 other bags of seeds:
Winter Peas and Oats PS Price 14.97 for 10 lbs.
Nutrigreen Peas- 30%
Forerunner Triticale-30%
Cayuse Oats-30%

Buck and Oats Price 14.97 for 9.5 lbs.
Cayuse Oats-95%
Chicory-3%

Mega Plot Price 19.97 for 20 lbs.
Jerry Oats -60%
Forerunner Triticale-30%
Barabus Turnips-5%
Anyone know what Triticale is?
I know your better off going to your local feed store because they have the seed for your area.The seeds at Wally world have to grow almost anywhere in the United States.Some grow better in the south,while others grow better in the north.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like everyone else - Not a good choice - even in small plots near hunting areas - sooooo many other seed choices are out there.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rye grass is just about useless for a food plot, don't confuse it with winter rye. I wish there wasn't a single rye grass seed in any of the plots I have.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Spike

We tried Throw-n-grow in a clearing on our ground. We threw it and it grew, but if you ask me nothing has touched it. As mentioned before, deer won't go for the rye grass when there's much better food available such as our corn feeders and, this time of year, the farms that border our land. We have had better luck with Whitetail Institute "No Plow." Just as easy to plant and it actually gets eaten. Their other easy-to-plant product, "Secret Spot" is also great and is meant to be planted right around your stand/spot and is planted late summer to provide fall and early winter grazing. These of course are more expensive than the stuff you'll find at walmart, but they work.

Last edited by RyanJ17059; 07-29-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

I have bought some in the past and it has worked good for me shot 2 deer off of it.I would not recomend it for making a huge field out of it but it works good for just a little under your stand.