Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

small food plot for wooded area

Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default small food plot for wooded area

I hunt a small piece of land 30 acres ... that was clear cut 15 years ago ... thick is not the word for it. I have stands on old logging roads bordering the property .. these roads are the only clear area i have to plant on . I have planted plots in the past with minimal success .I was wondering what would be best in rocky soil with thin top soil.I have don all the prep work mowing and lime now i need to plant something .Any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nysmoker
I hunt a small piece of land 30 acres ... that was clear cut 15 years ago ... thick is not the word for it. I have stands on old logging roads bordering the property .. these roads are the only clear area i have to plant on . I have planted plots in the past with minimal success .I was wondering what would be best in rocky soil with thin top soil.I have don all the prep work mowing and lime now i need to plant something .Any suggestions?
Although I usually buy my seed from the local seed/feed store, I saw a bag of "secret spot" at a store for 10 bucks so I got it. I'll will be planting it in a little clearing. Minimal prep is needed apparenty but it is good that you already added lime and prepped some. Whatever you do, don't use too much seed and too little fertilizer. Who knows how it will do, but it is made for situations like yours so maybe you could look into it. If not, maybe try your own mix of oats, winter wheat, or brassicas. Be careful about seeding rates if you're planting brassicas with something else in there, they will probably take over. Good luck have fun

Last edited by bowmanaj; 07-27-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Spike

The Secret Spot needs at least 4 hours of sunlight a day.So if you have that or something similiar, I would plant it before rain is expected.They say a good downpour will push the seed about 1'4 inch deep,just the depth you need.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dvallilee
The Secret Spot needs at least 4 hours of sunlight a day.So if you have that or something similiar, I would plant it before rain is expected.They say a good downpour will push the seed about 1'4 inch deep,just the depth you need.
Yup, ... Also, make sure you clear away as much grass, etc. to expose as much soil as possible. You could spray a glysophate product like roundup, let it all die, rake out the dead grass and weeds, and broadcast before expected rain. As mentioned by dvallilee, make sure you get plenty of rain if you're not planning on packing the seed down after broadcasting.

Keep us updated though if you decide to use it, because I'm interested to see how it does. I'll post some pics of mine once it is planted and coming up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (the bag's not in front of me) but I think its just a mixture of some rape seed, oats, clovers, and something else... I think some other kind of brassica
Old 07-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd concentrate on keeping the cutover young. This is your draw - and small woodland plot is miniscule to a 15 year old clearcut.

Generally speaking - woodland food plots are not able to produce "tonnage" for forage. We are talking about a few hundred lbs of forage at best if heavily shaded.

FH
Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Spike

We use Secret Spot and No-Plow, both similar "easy to plant" products from Whitetail Institute, with great success. I will tell you, they like a lot of moisture and not too much direct sunlight. Our plots are all properly limed and fertilized, but the wetter, shady spots have grown the best. They've been grazing over them pretty good, too, especially when we have a mineral spot close by.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Spike

I've used all the above but in spots where not much grow just a good ole bag of winter rye with some rape seeds mixed in works great.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

now if a logging road filters out the sun from the canopy of the trees on the edge can you still plant Secret plot or no plow? Also what is the difference between Secret plot and No Plow?

I am trying to find ways to plant some food plots but I can't dig into the good open areas because it is CRP and I think it will breach contract if I planted a plot on the CRP acres. Also my area has a TON of corn, beans, and wheat(that's just how east central IL is). So I am trying to diversify their food source hopefully attracting more deer.

Sorry to high jack your thread but I have been wondering this too