Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What do think happened to my plot?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Spike

Default What do think happened to my plot?

I planted some evolved throw and gro in April and now the rye is dieing. There is supposed to clover and brassicas in it but they never came up. Why do you think it is dieing?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

Its a cool season annual. It dies every summer. Big waste of money anyway. Should be planted in the fall, but deer dont even like rye grass. It will come up with very minimal work and look like a plot. Sort of a food plot decoy, I guess.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Spike

Do you think I should till it up now and replant with something else? Do I need to round up first? It is getting to late to wait for the round up to work and dissipate. Have any of you guys tried Antler King Mini-Max.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Probably not enough moisture, I have some planted in lowland black dirt and its 3 feet high another place in clay soil and its 2" high
RC
Old 08-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto Hoss on the rye dying.

If you do not have a lot of plant growth, just plow the area. Roundup doesn't prevent seedling germination, but it does take at least 48 hours to kill the root. I would plant a cool season grass (winter rye, oats, winter wheat) and/or turnips. Next spring you can plant anything you would like, such as the clovers. Check with your local coop for the grass seeds, or online (such as welterseed.com) for less expensive seeds.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Redclub
Probably not enough moisture, I have some planted in lowland black dirt and its 3 feet high another place in clay soil and its 2" high
RC
It has plenty of rain.Maybe to much. If the rye is suppose to die now then I guess I will have to plant something else in there since the brassicas and clover did not come up.If I were to go to my coop. What kind of brassicas should I get. I will plant this week.Or should I get a little of a few things and plant together.Has anyone ever used Kale for a food plot?

Last edited by fishstuffer; 08-10-2009 at 02:50 PM.