Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Firm Well-prepared seed bed

Old 05-05-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Firm Well-prepared seed bed

I read and hear a lot of talk about this. In the past we disced and spread our seed and then used a drag. This has worked find for us. We also have a regular lawn roller 3ft. but not a cultipaker. Should I

1. disc, then roll the plot, then spread the seed, and roll again.
2. keep doing it the way we have
3. some other combination

Thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Firm Well-prepared seed bed

I have great luck with a 6' rototiller. I lime, then till, then plant, then fertalizer, then take a 30 gallon water-filled roller behind the ATV and give it once-over. Makes it look like a parking lot and with a little moisture in the dirt, you get almost immediate germination.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 05-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

After discing I put out the lime, then disc again. Spread the seed and fertilizer. Then use the atv as a cultipacker. The location of my food plots would make it a real PITA to get a cultipacker full of water into plus it' s saved me the cost of buying the packer. It take a while longer because you' re only packing two 8" wide strips per pass but it gets the job done.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to disk as level as possible, and cultipack once - then just before the next rain, I broadcast clover seed & fertilizer, And cultipack again.

If the soil is moist its best - maybe even cultipack right after the next rain too, once its not muddy. Because you' re not covering the deed, that cultipacking is what ensures good soil/seed contact - and is extremely important.