Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

wisconsin food plot

Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default wisconsin food plot

I live in western wisconsin and I was wondering what food plot seed blend you think would work the best. I was thinking tecomate bucks and bosses seed blend. but what do you think.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:31 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default RE: wisconsin food plot

Frankly, I never tried Tecomate, but have used several others. I does, I think, depend a little on what kind of plot you want to put in. If I recall that mix has some chicory and other stuff (cow peas, and other legumes if memory serves). I have used the following ( in Trempealeau Co. Wisconsin) with pretty good luck:

Clover mixes: have used both Biologic and Whitetail Institute mixes and both worked out great.
Fall planting: I have had GREAT LUCK with Biologic Full Draw. Oncea frost hits the deer will hammer the rape and other brassicas! Also, we tried some Quaker Boy last year, and the deer loved that too. Also, Antler King's "Fall-Winter-Spring"...deer tore the plants out roots and all during the winter...looked like an ATV had done wheelies!

Also, for a bow season attractant, Buck Forage Oats work really well.

With any of them, site preparation is the key. Kill off all the vegetation, disk, lime, spray again, disk again, and then plant only to the depth recommended. Do that and any mix you choose should work well.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wisconsin food plot

check these guys out.

http://wisconsinmonsterplots.com/