Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Are hay fields just as good as a clover plot? >

Are hay fields just as good as a clover plot?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Are hay fields just as good as a clover plot?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Are hay fields just as good as a clover plot?

This year i have 17 acres of hay planted on my property. This will be the first year that it is harvested. It got moderate deer traffic last year, and im thinking that since its mostly grass and clover, that it will get heavier traffic this year. Im no expert on this stuff though.

Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are hay fields just as good as a clover plot?

Im not sure about compared to clover, but the overgrown hay that I recently cleared was used a lot for doe/fawn bedding. I left a good amount where most of the beds are, but I don't know a whole lot about hay. Im sure you will get your answer though
Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

Siman, My answer would be yes. The only exception would be if more preferable forage was being grown nearby. Bowman is right about a hayfield that is not cut being a preferred place for does to have their fawns. But as far as more deer activity, a cut hayfield is better. Clover and grass grow good together, but once the grass matures it hinders the clover, and clover thrives with frequent cutting. With a field that size and depending on what type of clover is growing (preferably red/white or both) you should see a lot more activity. IMHO.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, It is actually 3 fields....

Heres my layout:

Red is the access roads
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

WOW from that angle there is no question you will have deer activity, its the greenest thing around. Almost looks like soybeans or another recently planted crop.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

If the hayfield has a good percentage of clover/alfalfa, deer will love it. Haystack is right on about mowing. Tender regrowth is always higher in protein and more palatable than mature "woody" older growth. Mowing after fawning and nesting is over should help the deer and other wildlife out.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Caleb that is some awesome property you got there. I agree with the mowing. When I bush-hogged some old hay/grasses/saplings a couple weekends ago I found tons of fresh deer tracks and fresh turkey crap just 2-3 days after cutting. And this is a part of the property that deer/turkey have rarely used in the past. I have NEVER seen any turkey sign on this far side of the property until I cut the field.

Fresh regrowth definitely will attract them. It attracts bugs and helps new, more desired and freshyoung plants come up so deer and turkeys some how just find the fresh cut areas..quick. Gotta love wild animal instinct

Again, awesome looking property. Is that where you'll be going after birds?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its one of my bird properties. I have land availible for hunting flowing out of my ears. This piece means the most to me, since its my family's land, but i gotta go where the best chance is. Me and my dad both shot our first birds off this land on the same ridge-top.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

As good as clover... Maybe. Afalfa yes! It is very high in protien. Essential antler growing food! Grass hay no.. They will it it though!