Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

School me on Slay/Arrest

Old 03-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default School me on Slay/Arrest

I understand that Slaykills broadleaf weeds, and Arrest is to kill grasses, in clover and alfalfa type plots. My question is, are there alternatives/generic herbicides with the same ingredients? $50.00 for 4 oz. of Slay (treats 1 acre), and $26.00 for a pint of Arrest (treats .5 acre)..Does anyone one know of less expensive alternatives, or is this the norm? Thanks for any info.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: School me on Slay/Arrest

Bowman, I have never sprayed any of my food plots. But I do use many different chemicals to control weeds in fields. Poast Plus is similar to Arrest for grass control. For the broad leaf weeds, I try to get them killed out before I plant my food plots. Generally mowing will help control weeds and insects to a degree in clover/alfalfa. If your soil is prepared right, and you get rain when needed, weeds will have a tuff time competing with clover/alfalfa.

Another thing is the generic chemicals are usually sold in bulk. A 2.5 gallon jug would last a life time, just wouldn't be worth doing IMO. I have growed food plots and crops for a long time and only use chemicals when absolutly necesary. Not worth it on food plots. IMHO.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok thanks. I've read about mowing in april or june, down to 5 inches, and that this would help weed control as well as promote more palpatable regrowth, but does 5 inches sound right? I'm hoping the "high" setting on my cub cadet is not lower than that, I will check.

Again, thanks for the info. I am glad to hear that it is not necessary.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

Bowman, I cut my clover/alfalfa as often as needed and down to 3 or 4 inches. Clover and alfalfa respond well to being cut and the new growth is what the deer like. Certain times of the year the deer keep it mowed pretty good (lol) When the clover/alfalfa is blooming is the time to cut otherwise. JM2C
Old 03-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok thank you
Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

IMO, herbicides are a better option. Mowing is like a haircut, as soon as you leave the field the grass is growing again. I used the Arrest and it killed about 90-95% of the grass and I was done for the summer. With diesel at 3.5 per gallon and the wear and tear on my old equipment, mowing every 3 weeks to keep the seed from producing was too expensive.

I love my farm but mowing my plots over and over was way down my list of things to do while I'm there.

POP