Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Son is ready to hunt, what bow to use to slay goats >

Son is ready to hunt, what bow to use to slay goats

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Son is ready to hunt, what bow to use to slay goats

Old 08-16-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Son is ready to hunt, what bow to use to slay goats

Aloha All,
Well my big boy is ready to go. He's a big 10 and has bein shooting little recurve bows since he's bein 6 , Wal mart . Anyways Weve bein looking online at all the bows and am trying to find a 40 pound draw weight to shoot feral goats. Money is really tight so any advice , ideas or opinions are greatly appreciated.
I have an old High Country and I am wondering if I could turn the weight all theway down for him and fix it up. Its about 39 inches axle to axle so thats might be to big for him. What do you all think???
Mahalo Nui Loa
Paka
Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Son is ready to hunt, what bow to use to slay goats

My old bow is an Alpine Impact X-treme. I set it up for my wife to use and I can change it for my nephew to use pretty easily. The draw length is adjustable from 23-28" without a bowpressso its a bow that can grow with your son. Get one with 40-50# limbs and he could use it for years hunting goats and pigs with you!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the Mathews Genisis, it will grow with him for a few years and are pretty affordable. Im a PSE man but I recomend the Mathews Genisis to alot of youngins ready to start hunting.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

The genesis is only going to make 20 pounds max and the genesis pro will only make 25 pounds max. Neither of which would be legal for hunting.

IMHO the best youth bow out there right now is the Diamond edge. It is adjustable from 18 - 28 inches every 1/2 inch. It's available in 20-30, 30-40, and 40-50 pound draw weights. It will easily grow with hem for a good number of years and should he need a heavier draw weight later on you can simply replace the limbs rather than buy a new bow.

At a big 10 years old he will most likely need a 30-40 pound bow and start close to 30 pounds.

You getthe bow, hostage rest, fiber optic sight, peep sight, 2 piece quiver, and braided sling for $299.99.

I havesome in stock in 20-30 and 30-40 pound draw weights if you don't have a dealer near you.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I purchased a bow for my 8 year old daughter a few weeks back. I ended up getting her the Diamond Edge from Bass Pro. She tested several bows before she chose the Diamond. For the price I think it is one of the best on the market for kids. I picked it up fully set up for $299.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:58 AM

Thanks guys for all the replys and info. Just had a friend come back from Cabela's on the East coast with a little Diamond bow for his son that was $299 . I fugure with case ,arrows and shipping a new set up could run $400 , There goes upgrading my set up. No problem, they only grow up once.
I have an older (1988) High Country bow that I brought out from under the bed , cranked the weight down and put on an over draw. A friends gonna make me a new string , and Ill see ifmy son can pull it back . I figure the draw length might be to long but we will see.
Four hundred is alot of money for us to spend right now , so we will see what comes. Dang kids grow up so fast
Old 08-19-2007, 08:13 AM

check ebay fora bow i like my bow it runs 300 set up with out a peep.

Browning Micro Adrenaline oes from 30-40 and 40-50. great bow i started out with it at 12 and will be hunting with it this year at age 14.

PM me i know a site where it is cheaper then any where else