Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Management

Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Food Plot Management

would it hurt to spread lime and fertilizer together when preping the plot? also, is it possible to "over lime" an area?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Food Plot Management

I wouldn't think that would work. You will probably need a ton/acre of lime and maybe only 150 lbs/acre of fertilizer. Atleast that's common here in NC, I dont know anything about florida soil.

Yes, you can over lime an area. You need a soil test to tell you exactly how much lime and fertilizer to put out. Again, I'mnot sure about florida, but the soil tests are free in NC and SC, and in VA its only $7. Check with your localextension service agent to find out about your area.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

the food plots i will be making is on my Georgia lease. the majority of the soil is clay and most of the tree's are pine. the problem i have is i can only make the trip up to my lease about once a month. so i'm trying to figure out how i can make the most out of what little time i have. the plots are going to be no bigger than 1/8 of an acre each. i am trying to establish numerous smallers plots rather than 1 or 2 large plots.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

also, are the ph testers you can buy at Cabela's or Bass Pro accurate? it will be 2 to 3 months before i can start my plots if i have to send off soil samples.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Spreading lime and fertilizer at the same time is not recommended. The reason is there will be a reaction between the two and plant nutrients will be lost to the air. As a rule you should wait 1 month after liming to apply fertilizer. But in your situation I would have to make an exception, due to the time constraints and distance.

It is not recommended to apply more than 3 ton of lime per acre, in one year. It can/will "shock" the soil.

There are many kinds of store bought PH testers available, the probe meter type are junk in my opinion. The ones that are in a kit, were you can do individual test for PH and N-P-K are more accurate but fairly expensive.

Sending soil samples to a lab is hard to beat especially for a new piece of ground or food plot. They will do detailed exam of your soil, let you know what is lacking and what and how much is needed to correct any problems, saving you money in the long run. IMHO.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

from what i have read, Lablab is a decent choice for food plots due to it being some what drought resistant and can grow in less than great soil conditions. it also is high in protein for deer. i might just try this out with fertilizer and skip the liming until next year. this way i can go ahead and get something growing for now and it will allow for me to collect soil samples for liming at a later time.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

I would NOT do that, here is a link to a more detailed reply I posted in another forum.
http://www.carolinasoutdoor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/15083/Plot_Talk_with_Bioplots_com.html#Post15083

Lime is very important. It raises the pH of the soil to a level that allows the plants to use the nutrients(fertilizer) you put out. You can put out all the fertilizer you want, but if the pH is 4.7 instead of 6.3 you are wasting your money because the nutrients will be tied up in the soil and unavailable to the plant. Soil test are important to find out how much lime you need. Only one ton per acre(~40lbs/1000ft2) of lime should be applied at any given time. If more than that is required, wait 6 months and then apply the rest. Lime is not like fertilizer in that it usually last alot longer. Once the pH is adjusted to the proper level, no lime should be needed for a few years. Sandy soil needs it a little more often, clay soil needs it a little less often. Different plants like different pH ranges, but most things like a pH range of 6-6.5. Lime isn't for everything, most trees like a more acidic soil.

A soil test is required to find out how much lime you need on your site. That said, lots of people dont do them. Besides, I want to do it this weekend, I dont have time to wait on that thing. I almost dont want to post this, but around here(north central NC) a ton of lime per acre on a field that hasn't had any in 20 years, or that was just cleared out of the woods isn't going to hurt it. Fertilizer is acidic, and over time will lower the pH of the soil to a level that requires a little more lime.

As far as the time of year, it doesn't matter. IIRC, fall was the preferred time, but its not critical about the timing. The sooner you get lime on your foodplots(if you need it), the happier you and your critters will be. It does take a while to go to work, but I think 6 months is a little long. I have seen landscapers put it out with the fertilizer and seed. Its not ideal, but its alot better than no lime.

It is possible to use too much lime, but it is hard to do in most areas. If for some reason you need to lower the pH of the soil, sulfer can be used to do it(either plain or in the fertilizer ammonium sulfate).

and.......

Easy way to get a sample is to take a bucket and a shovel, if you dont have a soil core puller thingy(technical term). Take a small slice 4-6" deep in several spots spread across the field. After you have a good pile of dirt in the bucket, stir it up good and fill up the cardboard box you got from your county extension agent. Fill out the side of the box with the required info, and fill out the sheet that they give you. They need to know what crops you are growing, and know and what crops you want to grow next. That info is also for nutrient recomendations(they tell you how much and what kind of fertilzer to put out too).

and....

If you get the results and have a hard time reading the fertilizer requirements, give me a holler and I'll try to help you out. The recommendations are in units per acre, and not the analysis of the fertilizer you need. Its pretty simple to convert, but it takes some getting used to. (i'll help you too, but shoot me a email rather than a PM, getting hard to check all the forums this time of year)
Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Oh, good choice with the lab lab. I like to mix it with iron clay peas.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

anyone ever tried this....

Antler King Instant pH Soil Test Kit
This "do-it-yourself" kit will give you the results of the pH in your food plot soil in 20 minutes. It also tells you how much lime to add to bring pH levels to optimal levels.

Item: IK-229366
Old 03-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

I have never used that kit. I have used another product that was fairly accurate as far as PH is concerned. It would definitely be better than doing nothing or in your case waiting to get a lab test back, which would take a very long time IMO this time of year. PH is very important, Hossdaniels explained it well. At least it would give you some idea of how much lime if any you may need. IMO.

Quick Reply: Food Plot Management

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.