Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

clover

Old 03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: clover

Soybeans is good, fairly cheap option. Chicory, Alfalfa, Oats or a mix you put together. Try to determine what is being grown around your property and grow something the deer dont already have. The clover is hard to beat. But deer do like variety. If you decide to plant soybeans, keep in mind not to plant till frost is no longer likely. You probably already knew that, I had to mention it. All of the other plants I mentioned can be planted now. Maybe these other guys have some ideas to help also. It pays to get lots of opinions.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

Soybeans is good, fairly cheap option. Chicory, Alfalfa, Oats or a mix you put together. Try to determine what is being grown around your property and grow something the deer dont already have. The clover is hard to beat. But deer do like variety. If you decide to plant soybeans, keep in mind not to plant till frost is no longer likely. You probably already knew that, I had to mention it. All of the other plants I mentioned can be planted now. Maybe these other guys have some ideas to help also. It pays to get lots of opinions.
im positive im planting clover. there arent many corn or bean fields around me, but there are a LOT of hayfields. 100 yards away from where im planning to put my plot is a hayfield. i think it alfalfa? what are hayfields usually?
i thought you plant oats in the fall.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

In many areas including mine and yours, you can plant oats in spring or fall. Oats are good forage for deer or any animal really. Hay fields can vary, if the one located near you is dark green and not much, if any grass in it, could be alfalfa. If you had a picture of it, could tell you for certain. Just a thought. If the fields are mostly grass, it could be a multitude of things. Sounds like you are in a place where food plots will work good.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

In many areas including mine and yours, you can plant oats in spring or fall. Oats are good forage for deer or any animal really. Hay fields can vary, if the one located near you is dark green and not much, if any grass in it, could be alfalfa. If you had a picture of it, could tell you for certain. Just a thought. If the fields are mostly grass, it could be a multitude of things. Sounds like you are in a place where food plots will work good.
it probably is alfalfa then, becasue it is dark green.
im not sure if im coming off clear. i want a food plot that has clover, oats corn, and brassicas (shot plot) if i plant all of these next weekand or so, how long will each plant last (what i mean by that is, how long will the deer eat them) and will i have to replant any of them in the fall?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

The clover is going to live many years if everything goes as planed. The oats will only last till June. It is still to early for corn in your area I would think. Trees should be leafing out before you plant corn. You wont gain nothing planting to early. The deer wont need/use the corn until fall, which is something I think will work good for you. The shot plot will most likely be done by late June also. If you plant the Brassicas in late summer/fall it will last most of the winter. I had kale live all winter this year and it got down to -4. Kale is one of the seeds in shot plot.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Clover is very easy to grow just make sure you keep it cut (about 6") to eliminate weed growth.
RC
Old 03-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I planted my clover on monday i got rain today when should i expect to see it sprout BTW its in the low 60's right now
Old 03-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

evan when you plant the clover be sure to pack the ground down cause those seeds are tiny and if they fall down a crack in the ground your never gonnna have them sprout.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Jake,
You should see some sprouting by Sunday, maybe sooner if it stays that mild. Not all of the seed will sprout at the same time, its normal. You are right about packing the ground after planting.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think im gonna plant clover in next few weeks, then plant the other stuff later. becasause i want the plants to be there during hunting season. and the deer will have clover and buckwheat over summer so i think im in good shape. can i plant shot plot and oats in late august at the same time?

Quick Reply: clover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.