Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

clover

Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default clover

I recently attended the Ohio deer and turkey expo, while I was there a guy from Merit Seed meritseed.com who was kind enough to give me a three pound bag of assorted clover seeds just to see howI liked it and I was want to plant this stuff ASAP. So is right now too early for here in southwest ohio?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: clover

Moss 93, No, its not to early. You can plant clover much earlier and get good results. Planting to late is what will get you. 3lbs should plant about a half acre +/- Good luck and let us know how it does.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats pretty cool, definitely let us know how it turns out. I spent the weekend at the farm getting a new clover (with alfalfa) plot ready... x2on what haystack said.. Right now is fine to plant. Some people even "overseed" in the late winter with clover.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys Im gonna plant it tommorow after school.Ill gonna get a few pic up of my progress.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

im planning on planting clover as well; but this fall (august) how long will it take it to fully grow when i plant it in august?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

moss11, It is going to depend on the amount of rainfall your plot gets of course. But if everything works out when you plant, you should have a good looking stand in 4 to 5 weeks. It will keep growing in the fall till a hard frost hits it. It should last 3,4 or more years depending on the variety clover. Keep in mind clover is slow to get started but once it starts growing it grows fast. IMHO Good luck!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also I am planning on planting some purple turnips and also some essex rape which I haven't purchased yet. I was wondereing when is best to plant those?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Moss93, Late august-september is the best time for those, they dont like the heat to well. But can take frost and freezing well. I grow the purple turnips in my garden and try to plant them 1st of august to give them more time to get some size, but they dont taste good until frost hits them. They are easy to grow and should do good for you.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks a million haystack, you really know what your talking about!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Moss93, I enjoy helping people! I had allot of good mentors and people helped me. Thats why I feel compelled to help others. We all had to start somewhere and ask questions and I still have many questions that I dont know either.

Thanks

Quick Reply: clover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.