Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Help (picture included)

Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Food Plot Help (picture included)

I have heard over and over that if you don't have the equipment, food plots are not worth it. Being a freshman in college, I don't have the equipment for it. I do have determination though. I can clear undergrowth and till up the ground to make the plot more apt to grow.

Michigan banned baiting this year, and I assume this coming year as well. This has made me think about planting a food plot.

The soil here is very dark and rich, but not mud (Exactly what I wish was in my garden!) A few sparse trees are here and there, with a little undergrowth but I believe I will be able to clear enough to have planty of sunlight for good growth on the plot.

The red dots are stand locations, which is completely irrelevant. The yellow box is a transition area in which the deer stage in before going or coming. They bed in the peninsula. As you can tell from the photo, the yellow boxed in area is almost like a meadow, not nearly as wet nor grown up as the area 50 yards in any direction.

Questions:

[ul][*]Is it possible for a plot to grow here?[*]Is there a better plant than another for this type of terrain?[*]Any other advice?[/ul]

Thank-you very much for looking and helping!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Food Plot Help (picture included)

Good idea adding the picture that makes finding help easier for all. And determination is hard to beat.

Now for my opinion. I will try to answer in the order you listed.

1. Yes. it looks like a good location

2.That is going to up for debate. I would suggest: clover, soybeans or small grains such as oats.

If that soil has a tendency to be very wet and you want to plant clover, then I would recommend a
variety called Alsike. if its fairly well drained then most any will work. I like Ladino the best.

3. Get a soil test first. That will make all of your hard work and money invested worth while.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food Plot Help (picture included)

Buckhunter14, I am sure you can grow a successful food plot in that location. Haystack is correct, take a soil sample as soon as the soil thaws. You need to get 6-7 inches of depth for a good sample. I would suggest the Michigan State soil lab, they will give you a good soil test for your money. Request a variety of crops for fertilizer and lime recommendations (such as alfalfa, red clover, corn, and oats). We in the north have plenty of time before planting. The plants you can grow will be limited by the soil pH, and the depth to watertable. I doubt alfalfa would grow there, as the soil is probably too wet.If the plot is small enough to mow, and you want to work at it, another option is kura clover (if at least 2 feet of soil is well drained). There are kura plots in WI that have lasted over 12 years, and I have heard of it lasting over 30. It needs to have the weeds cut every month or so the year it is planted, but then it is tough and spreads like quack grass (literally). It sounds like you enjoy gardening, so I think you will find a food plot enjoyable as well. Take your time to get information, put in some time on the plot, and I think you will be pleased with the results.