Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

well i got it back!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default well i got it back!

i got my soil sample results back, but have no freakin clue what the hell it means...it was my ph is 5.1... i think thats pretty good for no lime added yet.. does that mean im not gonna have to add a bunch of lime???? thanks for the info guys..
Old 02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: well i got it back!

MdDave,
5.1 is very acidic !!! Depending on what you are going to plant, you probably will need tons of lime. What size is your food plot ?? A good reference is one acre is roughly the size of a pro football field. If your food plot is one acre you will probably need 2.5 to 3 tons of lime to fix your PH.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

MdDave, I agree with Haystack, 5.1 is acidic. I would not try to grow alfalfa or clover this year. Small grains would be best, corn/soybeans would probably do OK as a food plot. I think 2-3 tons/acre of lime is even on the light side for alfalfa/clover. Didn't the lab give you a lime recommendation? If not, what is the organic matter?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Where did you get it done at?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

well hell,,, i thought it was at least close to 7 it would be good... the plot was prolly gonna be half an acre.. i really havent measured it out yet.. it says i need the calcium carbonate equivalency(what ever that is) off the bag to figure out how much lime is needed... i used biologic...sent them my sample...if someone was real curious i could email the file that was sent to me..
Old 02-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/extreme/

heres what im thinkin about
Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Dave,
A half acre wont be to hard or expensive to fix. As stated prior, depends what you planing on growing.
You can spread a half acre by hand but that is the cut off point for me anything more you will need a custom lime spreader. There are many kinds of bagged lime. It sounds like you need ag-lime. If you know of a fertilizer company, maybe you can get a truck load of bulk or not bagged from them, it will be cheaper that way. Believe it or not a PH of 5.1 is about 20 times more acidic than a PH of 7. To a lot of plants like clover and alfalfa it is toxic.
It is not uncommon to have acidic ground even lower than 5.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

Dave,
I didnt see what you had in mind till I sent you that last reply. I have never tried that, but it will probably work this spring OK if you get the lime put on as soon as possible. It takes lime a while to work its magic but I believe that stuff can take it. I did see clover in it though. It is still your best bet for this year.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like everyone said 5.1 is quite acidic. Haystack is on the right track except every pointon the pH Scaleis 10 times less or more acidic than the previous/next number.

For Example-

5.0pH is 10 times more acidic than 6.0pH and 5.0 pH is 100times more acidic than 7.0pH

(at least your pH wasn't 4.1!)

The soil test should have have told you How many units of Calcium Carbonate. Rest assured -its a lot. In fact most places suggest to not try to correct the pH all in one year - if its a serious amount.Some of my plots in the low 5's were suggested 8 tons/acreAg Lime.

3-4 tons/acre might only get you up close to 6.0ph (Depends on the Buffer - Light soils pH correct easier (less lime) than Heavy Soils (more lime) - If you soil is clay-like - clumps, holds moisture well, - you'll probably want to spread it out over two or more years. If its sand like - you can probably correct it with One Application).

Good luck -
FH
Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

farm hunter,
I've got to say you have a good point. But actually we are both right. A 5.1 is 28% more acidic than a 7.1. I'm certainly no chemist and I crave all the information I can get. But I think the point you are trying to make is how difficult it is to correct that low of a PH. The soil will need more time to respond to a 5.1 versus a 6.1..it all depends on the soil composition. Will clover come up and grow at a 5.1 ? My answer is yes, but it will not live long or reach its full potential. I believe lime is worth all the time and money not only for farm fields but food plots especially, for the more calcium in the plants, the more the deer intake, resulting in much better antler size. Feel free to correct me in any way, thats how we learn. Now watch Soilman straiten us both out. With a name like Soilman, the guy has got to know what he's talking about.

Quick Reply: well i got it back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.