Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

well i got it back!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: well i got it back!

Turnips would be OK, but I think they are more of a winter food. We planted some in September, after the sweetcorn was finished 2 years ago. The neighbor said he was watching 40-50 deer dig through the snow to get at the green tops. You could double crop soybeans/sweetcorn/oats in the summer, and turnips in the fall. It works well for us in the frozen north, and helps with weed control.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turnips are cheap- and a good plot for a late summer planting - on a spot that you want to put to corn or soybeans the next year.
In our program - the deer have ample food in the summer/fall and ignore the turnips (and brassicas) until Jan/Feb. Right now, our deer are pawing through 2ft of snow to get to turnips. They eat everything green - and nibble into the bulb - but usually leave them 3/4 whole. Its winter food for us, same as soilman, and a good field transition from Summer sod, to easily planted beans or corn in the Spring.

For us, turnips is a plot that serves a purpose - but its not a primary plot -

January Pictures - This plot was completely ignored October, November & December.

FH

Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

this is turnin into a pain in the butt.. im havin a hell of a time tryin to find lime..yeah sure i can get find 50 pd bags.. but at 7.69-8.00 a bag @ 40 bags.. sheww thats a ALOT of $$$$... i can not find one place that sells it in bulk!! i even called a stone quarry.. women said nope..im thinkin if i knew someone there i could get some...
Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Probably best to focus on plants that can tolerate acidic ground and just purchase what lime you can afford now.
That would be allot of lime to spread at one time so just extend that out a bit, do it in increments till you achieve soil that is ready for clover. My suggestion would be oats or soybeans this year. Do you live in a agricultural area ?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

its somewhat an agrcultral area.. i wanna talk to a couple more people round town maybe theres somewhere im missin... oats an soybeans.. what time a year plant are they?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

There is bound to be a place that you can find bulk lime. Landscapers might know, feed stores etc. Oats are planted as soon as the ground can be worked in your area. Soybeans should be planted after all danger of frost is over, in your area that could 1st of may. Birdsfoot Trefoil is another plant similar to clover/alfalfa that can tolerate a soil PH of 5.5. Just a thought..
Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

birdsfoot trefoil huh.. never heard of such a thing.. i bet me tryin to find that would be like tryin to find bulk lime.. lol..... called all the local feed stores jus 50 pd bags.. im still lookin.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have got a good friend that lives in Anne Arundel county, if you are near there, he can help you greatly.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

You need to find yourself a grain elevator.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Try Southern States Cooperative.. MDdave type that in and you can find the nearest one. They will have what you are looking for..

Quick Reply: well i got it back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.