Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Idea's

Old 02-04-2009, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Idea's

I'm looking for a good food source to plant in a wooded area, not on the edge but actually in the woods itself, so pretty much a food plot that doesn't need a lot of light or low light....have any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Idea's

I have had good success with secret spot in that setup. Woods generally have an acidic ph. I bought a 50# sack of pelletized lyme and used 10# of 13-13-13 fertalizer on the plot.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

appreciate it...everything here is still under a foot and half of snow but I can't wait for the thaw I have a lot of idea's for where to plant clover and i've heard of that secret spot before, just got get to the supply and buy some lyme and fertilizer...i have some time though
Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

All of that snow in your picture is what has me stumped. So let me tell you what we do and see if it can be done up there. First of all is there any way you can remove 1 or 2 trees or more? If not fine but it makes it a lot easier. If you can just lay down a non beneficial tree or trees it will be great.
As for shade tollerant you are never going to get the yields of full sun. Secret spot is just rye grass and cereals with a little brassica in it. In general rape, collards, turnips, beets and kale with a lyme filler. For me to buy locally the setup is about $20 to get the same blend as whitetail institute, less the lyme, which is not enough(lyme) for woodland. So I just buy it in the plot bag.
The idea is to plant a little earlier than you could normally get away with, late summer. The shade keeps the plants from burning up. When the leaves fall there is a short growing season until hard frosts come on. Some other plants you can do this with are Partridge Pea, Cowpea, Plantain(broadleaf perrenial), Certain clovers Ladino, Crimson and Arrowleaf. Be advised the clovers need a lot more lyme and moisture than anything else listed. Small Burnett is a good little perrenial forb that is cold hardy that has migrated to the shade on my place.
If you can lay down any trees, line the north side of the plot's tree line with honeysuckle. The south with the shade seed and the center with a good high protein perrenial such as new zealand type clover. The annuals will often reseed themselves. All this is assuming that the deer will paw the snow to get to the plants. And that the snow insulates them instead of killing them. I have no idea thankfully. If farmers grow winter wheat in your area it most likely can be done.
Blessings
Old 02-06-2009, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

There is winter wheat but none around the woodlot I plan to plot, if the deer know there is food under the snow they will dig there way down...this year like most area's in the mid-west have seen a lot of snow that is not always the same year to year. I guess I was looking for a fall plot but by your suggestions planting a winter forage as well...thanks for the advice!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no testimony to offer you as far as a planted food source within a wooded area, butI'm planning on using "secret spot" in the woods this year because I heard mostly good things about it. As far as ideas, a forage mixture with rye, rape, and clovers is good, but i doubt most companies mixtures would do well within the woods. Depending on your ph level, fertilize and lime the crap out of it, it will help a lot. A lot of old woods haveadequete ph levels already though. Good luck to ya though