Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

plow

Old 01-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: plow

Sometimes I plow like your picture - and leave the "roadway" in the middle like you show -

This Picture shows it pretty Good. The "roadway" in place of the deadfurrow - where you meet in the middle.
We keep the lane mowed - and sometimes spray and plant brassicas or Rye on it in the summer/fall.
At the very least - its a shooting lane - or an access lane later in the season.

FH
Old 01-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

Sometimes I plow like your picture - and leave the "roadway" in the middle like you show -

This Picture shows it pretty Good. The "roadway" in place of the deadfurrow - where you meet in the middle.
We keep the lane mowed - and sometimes spray and plant brassicas or Rye on it in the summer/fall.
At the very least - its a shooting lane - or an access lane later in the season.

FH
i never thought of that.ill do my plowing based on the picture i drew if that sounds good to everyone and i will leave an access lane in the middle to drive 4 wheeler and tractor up there. thanks for info everyone, appreciate it

FH what is that you are pulling with your atv?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a cultipacker - andits my son doing the pullling. He was pressing in his sunflower seeds on the edge of our cornplot in this picture.

Here's how it came out - the corn is sprayed with roundup- and we skip the "sunflower" edge.

The Cultipacker presses in small seeds and helps level areas planted. Its an important tool for us.

FH
Old 01-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

Thats a cultipacker - andits my son doing the pullling. He was pressing in his sunflower seeds on the edge of our cornplot in this picture.

Here's how it came out - the corn is sprayed with roundup- and we skip the "sunflower" edge.

The Cultipacker presses in small seeds and helps level areas planted. Its an important tool for us.

FH
do deer like sunflowers>?
Old 01-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

Yes, I believe they're high in protein as well
Old 01-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

Yes, I believe they're high in protein as well
i may throw some sunflowers out as well then, i heard dove love them as well
Old 01-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Moose really love sunflowers. I think deer likesunflowers more for cover than eating.

I grew up on a farm, and we use Roundup - sometimes in the fall and sometimes in the spring. Either way, you need to do it while there is still major plant activity so the chemical will make its way through the root system. I would also suggest that you use an approved/compatablesurfactantwith the Roundup. There are some other tricks, but I won't post them here. If you use Roundup in the spring, be sure to let the field sitten days totwo weeks before you work it (want the chemical to make its way through the entire root system). Also check the weather forcast, as you prefer for it toNOT rain for a day or two after application. Be aware that no tires(or anything else)should touch the vegetation/ground cover after the Roundup has been applied.There arespray wagons where the booms are in front of the tires (not good). You have a good chance of having strips where the kill is less effective due to contact after Roundup was applied. Also be aware that dirt reduces the effectiveness of Roundup (don't sray in dusty conditions).

We do NOTallow genetically modified seeds on our land. I stronglysuggest you get ALL the info before you plant gm seeds.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our deer never touch the sunflowers as far as I can tell.

I think that if less food is available - they can become interested in sunflowers at various stages of their growth. From what I see the Birds - really, really like the sunflowers- and I like having them around - It gets my son interested in planting something with tangible results - and thats important to me. It was his plot alone - along with some pumpkins thrown in for October harvest -This was his second year - and I think he learned a good bit.

Plots should be fun for kids -and interesting.

FH