Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 When and how to plant apple tree seeds? >

When and how to plant apple tree seeds?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

When and how to plant apple tree seeds?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default When and how to plant apple tree seeds?

Im gonna buy some apple seeds next year.... When and how should I plant them. I will probably do about 1/4 acre of them... How long will it be until they start producing apples?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: When and how to plant apple tree seeds?

Seeds or seedlings ????
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

Youd be better off buying the trees instead. a lot of big box stores (lowes, homedopt) get them in by the truckload in small sizes. the trees are usually about 4-6' tall already.

to plant: dig a hole 2x the size of the root ball. only dig as deep as the root ball is tall (not the pot, the dirt inside). plant tree and back fill with the dirt you dug out. water them in thoroughly. Id put a 2 cu ft bag of mulch around the top. drive a t-post in the ground on 2 sides to stake them. put a piece of bailing wire through a 8" piece of garden hose, put the hose around the tree and then tie the wire to itself (makinga large circle with tree and post inside) and twist it to tighten. Finally, you WILL need to put someting around them to form a cage. the deer will eat them. if you can sprya a repellent on them, do so. (experience here) put the cage around the posts too.

unless you live in an area w/ a lot of rainfall, you will need to supplemental water them, especially during the summer.

I know the top is confusing. i will try to put something together and take a pic, post later.

I planted apples too and its been rough going. The first ones i did almost vanished due to being eaten. this fall, i took the cages off of a couple and they are now gone between being eaten and rubbed on.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

this is something that I am def. going to do this year!!

I've heard that it takes 3-5 years for them to produce fruit
Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

I think you are wasting your time planting seeds. I ordered trees through a nursery which would be cheaper than a home supply store. Definitly need fencing or cages around and protect the bottoms from rabbits with a hardware cloth. I never had problems with deer in my yard until I planted apple trees. Within weeks they came and started eating the branches. So I put 5' box fencing wire around them, with soap hanging on it. That stopped them from chewing. Wish I had done it sooner.