Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

cattle mess up food plot ideas???

Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default cattle mess up food plot ideas???

i have property and it has cattle and horses on it. can you still plant a food plot? if so, what would you plant? thank you.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:17 PM

Default RE: cattle mess up food plot ideas???

you can plant whatever you want, as long as you can keep the livestock out. field fence works well, but will not allow for fawns to come in and feed. we prefer 4 strand barb wire. will keep cows, horses etc. out, but allow deer of all size access.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have cattle on our 500 acre farm. I fence all my food plots in otherwise the cattle want leave anything for the deer. 3 strand barbwire works just great. Some people say that more is needed to keep them out, not true. I have a little over 5 acres in plots and 3 strands works just fine.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Our400 acre farm is fenced in different sections so in differnt times the cattle will be in different parts so you could plant food plots right after cows are locked out. Some places they are in anyway and you can use electric fence and a 6 volt battery if needed.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:20 PM

hey I tell you what bobwire is a good idea but if thare are horses there to. I would not do it! Becose I not sure if you know this or not but horses will get tecness really easy and bobwire is one of the main thing that the tecness bactera lives on and I am sure you do not want to have to bye the guy another horse I would say get some of that ribbon hot wire and get a hot box that runs on SUN POWER! LOL it will be cheper in the long run and that way you dont have to bye a horse LOL