Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

CRP funding cuts??

Old 03-29-2003, 03:20 PM

Default CRP funding cuts??

I dont want to go off half cocked and start a rumor but...

I just recieved a call from a contractor friend of mine who is doing the dozer work on my tree planting projects. He said that he recieved a letter today from the USDA stating that he should immeadiately notify his customers that all funding for cost share, establisment, contract payments, etc have been cut due to the war budget.
This would apparently affect CRP, windbreaks, watershed projects, buffer programs, etc.
It was not clear whether this would affect old contracts or not but would effect any project not yet completed.

If I understand this correctly then, (to use my situation as an example) the USDA is not going to honor the contracts which I have signed with the NRCS this spring, and I will not recieve any of the promised cost share money or acreage rental payments. This would leave me holding the bag on about $2,500 worth of work.

I could not find any info on this on the USDA website, does anybody know anything about this?

Again, I dont want to start a false rumor but this friend is quite reliable and I cant find out anything more untill Monday when the local NRCS office opens.

Thanks....Timber
Old 03-29-2003, 04:21 PM

Default RE: CRP funding cuts??

Any contracts already signed are okay...Just no new ones for a while IF they are no longer going to fund landowners, but I have NOT heard that since USDA had funds that will go a LONG way......YOU would have gotten a letter, NOT your contractor......

Old 03-29-2003, 07:41 PM

I hope your right. I thought it sounded very unlikely that they would not honor signed contracts, but that was definately his interpretation of the letter. Apparently the letter even stated something to the effect of " including any projects in progress but not yet completed" .

I havent seen the letter personally. He apparently got it today, its not uncommon for mail to reach that town a day or so ahead of us.

Time will tell, we' ll see what they say Monday.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:49 AM

I thought I had better stop in and clear this one up.

I called my local NRCS office today and this rumor is partially true. My understanding is that this will only effect projects funded through by State of Iowa, not anything funded by the U.S. Gov.
Therefore it will not effect most of you at all, and will not effect regular CRP projects, but will effect IA funded ponds, windbreaks, watershed projects, etc.

Apparently some of our fine IA gambling institutions won a lawsuit against the state regarding the taxes they were paying and that money had been used to fund conservation projects. The state has to repay millions of $$, and will not be able to honor thier contracts. So those folks affected will be S.O.L, regardless of the contracts they had entered. It will be interesting to see what the long term fall out of that breech of trust will be. This situation did not happen as a result of the war on Iraq.

If you are from IA and you have any projects in the works I would suggest calling your local office to see if you are effected.

This will not effect any of my projects but it is sad when conservation and the critters lose out to the all mighty slot machine.

Sorry for any confusion,...Timber.

Old 03-31-2003, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

The CRP, FLIP and FLEP programs have a lot of good points as a number of rules I' m not too crazy about as far as a timber management viewpoint. Everybody needs to look at their contract carefully before signing on. The CRP is a wildlife program and has too many strict rules.