Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Two different plot questions

Old 03-26-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Two different plot questions

I planted a plot last spring with alfarack and provide clover and chickory, immediately after which we had one of the driest summers ever. The growth did start ok but because of the weather it did not flourish, however the weeds and grass did. Now this spring I would like to overseed with clover and alfalfa, but I also want to get rid of the weeds and grass. I did mow last year a couple of times but it did not help. How early can I spray poast or vantage but still get the seeding done early enough. Another plot I want to do this year I tried to plant a couple of times before but the weeds and grasses ruined that too. I intend to spray that with roundup this time, then plant alfalfa and clover. Once again how early can I effectively spray and still seed at the proper time. Both these sites have been soil tested and are right on target. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two different plot questions

Welcome to the board creekscout.

First off, you need to be sure that the growth of the alfarack did not do well because of the drought, or because of other factors. For instance, if the soil is below 6.0 Ph, it wouldn' t matter how much rain you got, the alfalfa mix would do poorly, an grasses would flourish. If you did a soil sample, and applied lime at, or just prior to planting, enough time has not likely passed to allow the lime to have much effect - it can take 4-6 months.

As far as applying poast and/or roundup - you need to be sure you are getting active growth for them to work. Most people would suggest mowing any growth over 8-10" , waiting two weeks, while new growth starts - then spray. The sprays can work in a couple of days with daytime temps in the 70s. They may take 2-3 weeks to work properly in 50-60 degree temps, as growth is slowed, as is the uptake of the chemical.

Good luck -
Old 03-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Are the field greening up now???
Old 03-29-2003, 01:33 PM

Yes, I just checked it today and they are starting to greenup but it is only just very short, maybe an inch or less. I did fertilize with 5-10-10 on tuesday, hoping to get some lime on next week.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Why did you use the fertilizer you used and did you do a soil sample?
Old 03-30-2003, 08:49 AM

I used 5-10-10 because it is my understanding that nitrogen is not needed for clover or alfalfa because it makes its own, around here 0-10-10 is not available. Last year I had soil samples done and the results show slightly low ph and potassium, I fertilized and limed last year before planting. Do you think something is wrong with my fertilizer choice? Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

5-10-10 is ok, but there is not much to it, and you are still fertilzing the grass and weeds. To put down 100 lbs/acre of Potassium you would need to spread 1000 lbs of 5-10-10. Potassium and Phosphorus do not leach into the soil very well like Nitrogen does. With enough rain/moisture the clovers surface roots will utilize the Potassium at the surface though.

At a local mill near me they sell a 8-20-28 for about $12 for a 50 lb bag. 0-0-60 Potassium for $14 a 50 lb bag. Look around in your area for similar products, you could get more of what you need on your plot for less work/effort.