Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Planting is done..................... >

Planting is done.....................

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting is done.....................

Old 03-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Planting is done.....................

I planted about 5 acres this weekend. I sprayed with Roundup....Then I limed/fertilized....Then I plowed....Then seeded.

Dang it' s a lot of work! LOL

Old 03-23-2003, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Planting is done.....................

Congratulations; now you' ve just got to keep us updated. You' ll probably have good growth before I get to start planting.

Dan O.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

What did you plant?
Old 03-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got some Imperial No-Plow dirt cheap...and I planted the heck out of it.

I also bought some ladino clover and sewed it right in with the Imperial.

Old 03-24-2003, 03:33 PM

How long did you wait after you spray with Roundup before you worked the ground?
Old 03-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I waited about half a day. It was sunny and pretty dry, so that should be enough time.

Old 03-26-2003, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

You did exactly what is wrong to that plot... First you need to mow and rake if possible THEN SPRAY with a broad sprectrum herbicide. THEN wait about two weeks and disk and add lime and fertilizer. You plowed the lime and fertilizer under and most likely will not recieve any benefit from either... Plowing is about the worse thing you can do!!! You most likely plowed up weed/grass seed/spore that has been dormant for who know' s how many years and should expect a great crop of weeds....
Old 03-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bucket...I used the word plow loosely. I use a sort of home-made disc/cultipacker that I made myself. Basically it sheads and rips away the grass so I can get good soil contact with the seeds. I have been making small plots using this method for years with incredible success.

I also live 5 hours from my farm, and time is an incredible issue. I almost have to do it all in one weekend. That' s why I always mow off and spray a plot in the early fall (with roundup), and then again in the spring. That is what has worked well for me in that terribly acidic soil.

To each his own.............
Old 03-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Did you spray and then disk in the same weekend? If you did then the spray did nothing for the plants that were there. Regardless of the time element, we don' t want to work on failing...
Old 03-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You' re right there, Bucket. However, I did what I could. My time in the spring is OVERLY limited...That' s why I didn' t plant much of my seed now. LOL

My " spikey log" that I use just sort of shreads the ground, but leaves many of the roots exposed. In the past, this has given the Roundup good contact. Weeds haven' t been too big a problem in the past....If the weather cooperates. During some dry years, the weeds have taken over somewhat.

This summer, when I' m off (I' m a teacher) I am going to prep some more desireable areas for planting in early Sept. I' ve already sprayed those once...

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Planting is done.....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.