Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

ATV Disc' s, Which one?

Old 03-11-2003, 04:07 PM

Default ATV Disc' s, Which one?

I' m new to this site. Great info! Planning on another atempt at a food plot. 1/3 acre in our 40. Last one failed misserably. This time gathering some info and going to do it right. Need to till up the soil. With all you people doing food plots there must be some good advise on atv disc' s. Any of these unit work really good? Don' t have alot money to spend so I looking for the best unit for the money. Was thinking about the one from Cabela' s and adding some weight? Any thoughts?
Old 03-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ATV Disc' s, Which one?

Check some local tractor dealerships. Sometimes people trade in lawn tractor accessories that might work. You may be better off spraying the area down with Roundup rather than cultivating.

Dan O.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I bought mine used from an older guy for $30. I had seen it sitting beside an old wood shed for several months so I decided to stop in and see if he wanted to sell it. I used 5 old steel plates to add weight and a piece of pipe to hold them in place. It will not cut through thick grass but if you mow it down to near bare dirt it does really well. It took me about 3 hours to get it ready and I' ve only got about $60 total in it. Here' s a picture of it.

Here' s a picture of my new food plot after discing it.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ballistictip; those aren' t this year' s pictures are they? Please don' t tell me there' s warm weather on this continent?

Dan O.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:57 AM

For the most part, you' re better off buying a small tractor and disc or else hiring a local farmer to do the discing for you. The atv discs don' t work very well and put a lot of strain on your expensive atv, it just isn' t made to pull a disc. I personally wouldn' t consider them.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Dan O, that picture of the food plot was taken March 8th, 2003. It got up to 70f this weekend!!! I would have worked on the plot earlier but we' ve had so much rain it' s been standing in water. As far as pulling it with an atv, I' ve never had any problems. Heck, I use my atv to move my 20' bass boat around at the house. Boat and trailer weighs 4,500 pounds. I don' t think a 250 pound disc is gonna hurt it.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:17 AM

Thanks Guy' s You have been helpfull. Ballistictip I' m imprest with what you have done with that disc. I found a nice setup from a company called " King Kutter" , It' s a double row of 6 discs, with adjustablke hight wheels, about 250lbs., for $375.00. The Rubicon should pull it Ok. Wife says I must also put in a garden for her and the kids. Must justify these toys some how.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the compliment Al. The secret is discing when the moisture in the ground is just right. If it' s too dry you' ll only scratch the surface. If it' s too wet you' ll just make mud. If it' s just right you' ll have a perfect seed bed for your food plot.

The adjustable wheels would really be nice. I have to haul my disc in on the atv along with the weights. [X(] Might have to fab me up some wheels for mine.
Good luck with your disc!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like that picture of Ballistictip disc! There are quite a few old small 5' to 6' discs sitting around farms. You just have to keep your eyes open. Discs for ATV' s really don' t work well. They' re ok if the ground has already been broken (like a previously planted field).

You best off buying a small tractor disc. If you can' t get a local farmer to give you a hand using it, the next best thing is pulling it behind your 4x4 truck. It works very well.

The best place I' ve found to purchase small tractor discs is at Mills Fleet Farm. They sell a couple, one is King Kutter. These discs are roughly 6' and run from about $400 to $500 depending on the model. These units are built heavy, they' re not like the " toy 4 wheeler discs."

Good Luck!!
Old 04-02-2003, 10:56 AM

If you are anywhere near Tallahassee Fl. i will sell you mine. Sold the 4-wheeler so I dont have much use for it. It does work very well. Bought it at a John DEere dealer about 2 years ago for $250. Will take $125. You can flip it over onto two wheels to transport and it has a rack where you can attach concrete blocks or other weight for deeper tilling.

Quick Reply: ATV Disc' s, Which one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.