Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tecomate ultra forage?

Old 08-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tecomate ultra forage?

My Dad, and I decided to go with the tecomate ultra forage for our fall food plot. We heard from some locals that it is pretty good, but They were just telling Us what They heard. We didn't know that until after We ought it. So its kinda too late now, but I was wondering if any of You have had first hand expierence with the tecomate ultra forage? It says on the bag it has clover, peas, vetch, chicory, and t-raptor blend which is a turnip/rape hybrid. Were going to put it out this week sometime. I know that the Deer loved the tecomate lablab We put out. I thought it was bio-logic lablab, but it was tecomate. So any thoughts on this seed?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tecomate ultra forage?

There is so many of the blends out there it is hard to remember which is which. Some people swear by them and some swear at them. I've had very good luck with Buck Forage Oats topped with a white clover, so that is what I plant. Be sure to give a non-biased report back to us mid and late season.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

I sure do have some thoughts on this seed. The deer loved it! We planted it this spring and it is all gone now. The only thing left in the plots we planted it in is a little bit of chicory. We couldn't believe they would eat it so early in the year because it isn't supposed to be sweet until frost hits. By about mid-July it was all gone. Up until that point it grew very well. It looked like a field of lettuce. Theonly reason we can think they ate it so early in the year is that almost all of the bean fields around us didn't get planted until late June because of the flooding earlier in June. They must have been hungry enough to eat whatever they could find.

So in short yeah for me that stuff worked great. Just don't forget to lime and fertilize it and it should grow very well. Also one thing we learned when planting it is to not seed it very thick. The turnips need some room to grow. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Yea it said reccomended planting time was august-september for this stuff. I know the deer loved the tecomate lablab. So if they ate Your ultra forageall gone that early I'm guessing it will be pretty good stuff. I hope so. We disked up the buckwheat field to get ready for the planting of this stuff. The ground looks really nice. We did the soil test earlier in the year and they came back perfect, but then We planted buckwheat. Should We have another soil test done, or will it be alright? Someone told Me that the buckwheat will actually make the ground better. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 PM

blondie, i agree with timber cruiser - it all just depends. (timber, i agree and like almost ALL of your posts too, but man, buck forage oats sucked for us@! haha)

I think a mix is good - gives the planter more chances - and if it all comes up, gives the deer more choices and an extended time to feed. I think the key is variety (timing) and longevity.