Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

round up ready biologic

Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 PM

Default round up ready biologic

bought a single 50# bag just to try as an experiment plot - sprayed round up last week and checked it today. KILLED IT ALL - grass, beans, corn.

I have had great luck with their products, so should believe this was a faulty load or something...but bottom line remains the same. It wasn't round-up ready and now the plot and about $300 dollars of prep (not counting diesel) is shot.

My vote: Not again.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: round up ready biologic

Three post and yer bashing [:-][:-][:-]
Old 07-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't know what to say

Was it BIOMAXX?

FH
Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 PM

to farm hunter, yes, it was biomax. appreciate the question.

to bawanajim, no, i'm not bashing, i'm simply sharing information - which is why i joined this site. if this site is a place for like minded folks to gather to share information as well as accomplishments and challenges, then i'm glad i did. if it's a place where posts are parsed by other posters and it leads to personal back-and-forths, then i'm really not interested. plenty of that in politics.

since you seem to associate credibility with the number of posts on a topic, i'd assume with your large number you must be quite the....well, life member. in my case, i'm glad i know better about my own 'classification'. thanks for the interaction though.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:07 AM

I planted 5 bags of biomaxx on 3 acres in the thumb area of Michigan in May, I broadcast it and wish I would have got my hands on a drill for it. It is growing well but the deer and turkeys are hammering it before it can grow very much and the crows ate some off the seeds after they were on theground even though I used a cultipacker there were still too many seeds on top of the soil I thought. It did not rain for a week or so after I planted, so they had all that time to pick at the seeds, lesson learned. I planted 33 rows of sweet corn in the middle of it a couple weeks ago to help, being the corn was pretty scarce.Going to overseed the whole thing with a mixture of full draw, maximum, green patch plus and lab lab...I have sprayed it with ag roundup and it killed all the weeds and none of the beans or corn. Somy batch was definetly round up ready.The concept of this product is great, but it is very expensive, I have $500 in seed alone + fert and lime and fuel, but it will all be worth it for the tasty backstraps that will overflow my freezer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Fathead, you could have lightly disked or dragged the seeds to get them under some dirt. A cultipacker only firms the soil and makes good soil/seed contact. It doesn’t bury the seed.

Makeur1stshotcount, did you mix the R/U with anything? Obviously, you didn’t get the only bag of non RR Biomax in existence. Could there have been something in your sprayer?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Spike

did you use brand name roundup or a generic. it should not make a difference as long as the active ingredient is glycophosphate. not sure on the spelling but you get the point. i havent used any of the roundup ready products yet so im not sure but did it completely kill it or did the corn/beans just yellow up a little? sorry about the bad luck.
brian
Old 07-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Biomaxx is expensive for my taste - I'd rather plant strips or blocks of soybeans and Corn separately for our program and what we want to accomplish - but I've never heard of it not being RR tolerent. Whoever said that the sprayer might have been contaminated - is likely rigt on -OR the plot never germinated well for some other reason.

I experimented with a broadcasted Soybean plot this spring and was very very disapointed with the results compared to using the corn planter. In fact - I'll probably disk it under in a couple weeks its so bad. Not sure if the turkeys/geese/mice -etc got the seeds - or if they just didn't germinate well? Either way - I'm not sold on this planting technigue for soybeans, say nothing about corn.

FH
Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 AM
spb
Spike

MakeUr1stShotCount - what sort of roundup did you use? was it an ag roundup? I planted some roundup ready soybeans from Eagle Seed this year and unfortunately the first time I sprayed them I used roundup that was purchased at a local hardware store and it has a small trace of some sort of weed killer (i forget the exact name - it was on the label) in it. When i came back a week later some of the soybean plants had dead spotsand a few of the leaves were totally dead. I hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Good point, Roundup Ready is a term use to describe plants that can withstand glyphosate. They can not withstand every single Round Up brand herbicide out there. If the Round Up you used had something like 2,4,D in it, that would explain your problems.
It does not have to be “ag” Round Up, but it has to be glyphosate herbicide, no matter the brand.

Quick Reply: round up ready biologic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.