Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Late summer suggestions please?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Late summer suggestions please?

I made the post not too long ago about mowing food plots. I was going to mow mine Saturday, but had a little issue with a relative of mine disking the field that the small plot was in. For some reason, he decided to drive all over my food plot, smashing it all down and making it look like crap. Im not too happy. Im sure it could grow back a little, but since its getting towards the end of its "perennial stage", Im thinking about just working up that plot and starting over fresh. Id appreciate any suggestions on what I could plant as a late summer plot. Something that would be ready to hunt over by October 1st. I live in mid-Michigan, getting abuot upper 80's temp with decend rainfall. Perfect growing weather. I've read a little on Buck Forage...Imperial Winter Greens...etc...but dont know too much about any of them. From what I have read, I am really interested in the Winter Greens plot by Whitetail Institute, if anyone has had any luck with that particular plot. Sounds like a great product.

Anyways, if someone could please steer me in the right direction, Iwould definetly appreciate it.

By the way, it will probably just be a small plot again, probably 1/4 for this year. I dont use big equipment, just a lawn tractor/lawn roller and hand spreader.

One more question. As far as Round Up goes, I've heard to round up the plot first, wait 2 weeks, THEN work it up and plant...is this correct?? Or do I work it up, THEN round up...wait 2 weeks...then plant?

Thanks for any info you have, Im really desperate for some last minute help here.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Default RE: Late summer suggestions please?

Sorry about your luck, pick your friends not your family. Get out and spray, wait 2 weeks and then till. For something that will be good all seasonI would recommend a blend of seed. Maybe a clover/alfalfa/chicory mixwith brassicas added. You could add a 50lb bag of 10-10-10, 4weeks afterseeding to help things along. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Campbery. Since you originally set out to make this a perrenial plot, why not mix some clover and chicory with an annual. Then you get the best of both worlds. I'm in West Central IL and I know turnips are the most popular food plot around here in the fall time. The colder it gets, the sweeter they turn.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah i was thinking about planting turnips, but didnt know if it was too late or not.