Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mid/Late Summer Plantings?

Old 06-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mid/Late Summer Plantings?

Any suggestions on what to put in when the sun is hot and the rain is limited? I was thinking of trying a small area of Buck Wheat. What else would come up in the heat of summer? Or should I wait until early Sept to put in a few small plots?

I put in some BioLogic, but it hasn' t done well. A small 25 yard by 25 yard plot hardly came up. Could it be I was too late and it didn' t get enough rain? I limed the plot with 300 lbs about 6 weeks before I planted. I then rolled the seed into the soil. Any thoughts on where I strayed?

The corn is doing well though.

. . . Thanks, Rob
Old 06-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mid/Late Summer Plantings?

Hey Rob,

I assume your spring was as cold and wet as mine. The biologic was probably a clover-grain mix?? correct me if I' m wrong. The cool weather screwed up alot of plantings, because planted crops could not out-compete the native or existing weed/grass seeds and plots were choked as a result. Mow it a couple times, you might be surprised how the clover kicks it up a notch once the competition from th annuals is gone. If germination never occurred, it could be problems with moisture or the weather. If the clover germinated, but then died off, your Ph could still be too low, even thought the lime had some time to work.

As far as a summer planting - Soybeans is a good choice. plant in rows w/ a corn planter (inoculant required) and spray or cultivate. Or plant heavy (braodcast or drilled) soybeans can do well planted through mid july

Old 06-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Soybeans or iron clay peas, but a small plot may be eat up before it has a chance to get started. You may need an acre or more to do any good.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually the BioLogic never germinated. Our spring was very wet and cold, then hot and dry. I think that by the time I put the seed down, the moisture just wasn’t there for germination. Because the plot is small enough, I could have put hay over it to help keep moisture in. Is this a good idea, or am I just asking for problems with weed seeds?

Is there anything else in addition to Soybeans that I can try? As September approaches, it is usually cooler and more moisture. Any recommendations for that time of year the will come up in the remaining 6 weeks of our growing season here in VT?

Thanks for all the great info!
Old 06-27-2003, 07:45 AM

I wouldn' t be afraid of trying buckwheat. Its cheap and not to fussy. The only thing to be aware of is staying away from heat during flower production while allowing enough time before frost for maturity (assuming you want to allow for seeds to be available for turkeys also). Sorta guessing at right time for your area, I think you would want to plant somwhere between the forth of July and the 15th.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:01 PM

imperial no plow will work my buddy put some out 7 weeks ago it is doing good just a little rain has fallen. no plow don' t need much rain just throw it on the ground.it has clover, rye, grass some other type of grasses. works great, deer are coming in to his sight. you can plant this in the woods to, just needs 3 hours of sunlight. it works great. it will work better if it was planted in the spring or fall but my buddy did not plant in spring did not have time. so he planted late first of summer real hot then it will work just try it. from tennessee