Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Don't miss the boat

Old 07-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Don't miss the boat

They will sell them at garden centers. Look for the white and large black varieties. After you have a few you'll never need to plant more, the birds look after the rest. They take about 3-4 years to bear and are very easy to transplant. I would plant them in the same area asapples and persimmons. They'll handle almostany soil. My varieties are growing well in zone 5.

Dan O.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great to see you still posting here Dan O.

Your advice on fruit trees has always been A#1 andI definitelyappreciate your advice on the topic. Compared to apple trees - how fast do Mulberry trees grow - and in your experience - do the deer also browse on the buds like they do apples - or is the fruit basically the attraction?

Thanks!
FH
Old 07-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the soil I've had 3-4 feet of growth per year. You should expect at least 1-2 feet. The deer browse the new vegetation when the trees are small. When the tree is mature the fruit is the main draw but I do still loosesome of thenew growth that the deer can reach. The trees will reproduce very well if the seed has passed through a bird or animal. It needs the stomach acid to scarify the seed coating. Birds feeding on my trees have planted new seedlings under my grape wires and under other trees that they land on.

With my varieties the trees fruit from the end of June to the end of August. That fits them in nicely as a food source until the apples start to ripen.

Here's and example of the trees and fruit that I've put in:

http://www.grimonut.com/catalog.php?catID=68

Dan O.