Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Brasicas and Turnips

Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Brasicas and Turnips

In thespring myfather and I planted a few plots in Tecomate's Ultra Forage. It consists of brasicas, turnips, and chicory. This is our first try at plantingsome annuals.I went out and checked our plots today and there is not a green leaf left on any of the brasicas or turnips. The chicory is doing alright but has been hit up hard. I am glad the deer are eating in our plots, but will there be any food for them to eat come fall? Since they have cleared it of greenery will they leave it alone until the greens start growing again? Thanks for any help you guys might be able to provide.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Brasicas and Turnips

The annuals such as the brassicas and peas will not come back. If it was a plot you want to hunt over, you would have been better to plant in the fall. The chicory and clover will continue to grow, IF the deer would leave it alone. Now that they’ve found it, that’s unlikely.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

What about the turnip bulbs? Will they still be good for late season even without the greens on top? Fortunately these two plots are not our only plots to hunt over. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

I suspect they'll be long since rotted. It's actually the leaves that are the attractant, but typically the deer don't eat them until after the first frost, when starches convert to sugar. It seems strage they would eat them so early.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah it seemed strange to me that they would have eaten then this early. Just three weeks ago it looked like a bowl of salad. I plan to overseed it in a no plow seed for the fall.