Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Q's that baffled me..........

Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 AM

Default Q's that baffled me..........

I had this question asked to me the other day and really didn't know the right answer..........You have a perenennial food plot that was planted in the spring consisting of clovers, chicory etc. Is it a smart idea to mow the clovers in late August and top seed the plot with a fall cereal grain such as wheat to have some fall attractant? Basically this is like a cover crop, except the clover is all ready established and he's wanting to go in and broadcast WW before a rain to add fall forage. I didn't know if this was a good idea or not so I thought I would ask you guys on here.[/align]
Old 07-10-2008, 03:37 AM

Default RE: Q's that baffled me..........

It's a good idea. Some guys will till up a small area and plant a fall crop. Some "overseed" as you described. I've never heard of it being done with winter wheat but I have done it with brassicas such as canola and turnip with success. You should broadcast the seed at twice the recommended rate and only expect about 40% of that to grow, butstill worth while.Good luck.