Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Permanent Plantings 2003

Old 03-08-2003, 09:44 PM

Default RE: Permanent Plantings 2003

About the Atrazine, you mean any that may be in the soil where I will be planting the prairie grass? I dunno, I' ll have to ask. The local NRCS made a trip to the property and were aware that it was a corn field last year and aware of what I intend to plant, they ok' ed it and didnt mention anything. I' ll ask around.

As far as the Simazine for the trees, they didnt suggest that particular brand but maybe they are all basicly the same? Is Simazine a pre-emergent or more of a general herbicide? I think they recommended Princep and another I dont recall off hand, was planning to get more specifics when the trees were delivered since the County Con. Board will be the drop off point. There has never been any ag chemicals used in the area that I will plant trees, as far as I am aware.

I wonder if maybe I would be just as well off not spraying anything in my case. There are really not alot of weeds around to invade this area, as everything around it is either pasture grass or active farm land that gets pounded with herbicides annually. Trees grow slow enough as it is.

I really appreciate all your advice, and I' m sure it benefits alot of others as well.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Timberpig; grass is terrible for trying to grow young trees in. Conifers such as Pine and Spruce will handle it but hardwoods are at a real disadvantage.

Dan O.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan - I missed your post the few times I' ve been on lately - glad I found it, I enjoy reading the tree planting plans.

My planting plans still seem a long way off with 3 ft of snow still on the ground (see picture - dated 3/9. I plan to put in a couple hundred conifer - probably Norway Spruce - as its a wet area I plan to plant.

I plan to mow the rows between the 800+ I hand planted last spring. Right now they are buried, but prior to the deep snow, survival looked real good.

Good luck all.

Old 03-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

farm hunter; you make me feel at home with those pictures. How are the deer doing in your area?

Dan O.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi again Dan, people forget about us snowbound ones often.

The deer in the area cannot be doing too well, though its still a little early to tell. Even with all the snow, and many days below zero, most of the deer you see look relatively well. Unfortunately, you see them feeding along the sides of road, in people' s yards eating any bush they can find, a freind even had one on his deck, licking the grill, and it did not leave when he turned the lights on and watched it for 1/2 hour.!! Alot are getting hit by cars.

This all points to deer that are near starved, and its still nearly 2 months to green up here - so some will not make it, others will make it till May only to die when food begins to become plentiful, does will likely absorb more fetuses than normal, and others will be born malnurished.

Such is the cycle in the North, and even though many of us take alot of does, our populations are still very high to withstand a winter like this year.

That said, the deer on our property will have hopefully benefited from the food plots we' ve put in. Even though our area is a yarding area, many of those deer left for lower ground over a month ago, where browse is generally thicker. Still I' d guess we have 20-30 deer living in our 20 acre hemlock woods right now. I' ve stayed out for forcing them out into deep snow, where the coyotes have had a field day, we found three already taken. They stopped digging in the corn almost a month ago, any ears still above the snow, are long gone. The deer are in some danger from coyotes, digging to get any ears under 3-4 ft of snow. I went into the hemlocks this Sunday for the 1st time since December - it was 60 degrees here. The snow is still3-4 ft in most places. I found 1 dead deer in " the yard" but it was under so much snow that I couldn' t tell much about how it died: I' m sure I' ll find others - hopefully not too many more. If the current warmth keeps up, we should lose the bulk of the snow by Mid April - which is not much different than normal.

Take Care -
Old 03-19-2003, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

FH, you and your wife look so young...tehehehehe...
Old 03-19-2003, 12:03 PM

Farmhunter, you always take such good pictures. We had about as much snow here as you did and within 3 days it was all gone. Everything is pretty wet but I may be able to lime in a couple of weeks if we don' t get a lot of rain. Have ordered several hundred white pine and poplar again this year and a few crab apple. Thanks again for all the info on corn. I' m gonna have a crop this year if I have to nurse each plant individually. terry IN GOD WE TRUST
Old 03-20-2003, 06:47 AM

Someone earlier in the post asked about wild black cherries. I am in WV and we have tons of black cherry trees. The deer, bear and turkey absolutely love them. They fall early in the fall, mostly September and by early October they are usually gone at least in WV.