Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Homemade foodplot seed mix???

Old 07-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Spike

Default Homemade foodplot seed mix???

Does anyone have any seed mixtures for deer plots? I know the brand name stuff is pretty expensive. I was thinking about making my own mix from seed from my local farmers elevator. Any ideas about what to include would be great. I'll be planting about 2 acres in central Michigan sometimearound late July earlyAugust. What kind of fertilizer is best too?
Old 07-04-2008, 09:26 PM

Default RE: Homemade foodplot seed mix???

If you're wanting a perennial plot, which will last for 3-5 years if properly fertilized and mowed (fertilized 2-3 times a year and mowed at least twice in spring/summer), I would go with a clover/chicory mixture. I have heard a lot of people that do not like planting in the spring due to weeds. I planted my perennial plot this spring and as of last week, the weeds were still kept to a minimum. If you mow periodically, you will thin out the weeds when the clover grows back thicker. I have a few broadleaf weeds in my plots and I plan on mowing my plot here in the next 2 weeks depending on if they are calling for rain (do not mow if you are not expecting rain in the near future). I try to mow my plots down to about 4" high. From what I have read, 4-6" is the normal height. My clover is about 4-6" high right now, but when I start seeing weeds higher than my clover I will cut the weeds down to the clovers present level.

If you are wanting to plant a fall annual hunting plot, I would go with a brassica, wheat, clover mix. The wheat will serve as a great early season food before the first hard frost. After the first hard frost, the brassicas will turn sweet and become a favorite of the deer through late winter. Brassicas have more drawing power if you do not have crop fields such as corn and beans around you. If you are in corn country, try planting some winter peas in the mix as well. In my situation in SE Ohio, the closest corn/bean field is over 10 miles away. I am planting Biologic Green Patch Plus on my power line that runs through my property. It is a mix of clovers, brassicas, wheat and oats. This mix, if I can get it to grow, should be a great deer attractant in my area.