Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots and Wheat

Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Food Plots and Wheat

I have access to 160 acres with permision to build a couple of small food plots. The deal is, 80 acres is already covered with wheat. I was planning on putting out a couple of feeders so I could get pics of the deer in the area and pattern conditions around their movement, wind, moon, rain, ect.

I thought of putting in the food plots for added nutrition, but with that much wheat is there really a need for it? Keep in mind too that all 4 bordering properties have wheat as well.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food Plots and Wheat

Your existing wheat is probably going to be at its peak for attractiveness soon and regardless, it will be harvested early summer leaving you with an empty field until probably this coming fall. You can do a lot to create some diversity with high protein plots that the deer will love. Brassicas would be a good choice for right now, as would be clovers mixed with some other annual. Or towards the end of July, first of August, you could plant a brassica/clover mix. The clover takes a while to establish itself so it is often suggested to plant it with another crop to help protect it from overgrazing until it gets established. If you don't have corn anywhere nearby, this could be an excellent choice as well. My suggestions are based on my location here in Michigan and depending on your location, you may have to choose different types of seed, but rest assured, there is much you can do that will be a big improvement over wheat. If you post your location, I am sure there are guys with much more knowledge than me that can recommend certain seed for your area.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. I'm in Central Oklahoma.

Is it too late to plant this year?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have that much that is already in wheat, I probably wouldn't worry much about a food plot. Your time and resources are probably better spent elsewhere, because food is probably not a limiting factor. Wheat is a good food source for deer from the fall until it reaches the boot stage in the spring. This is the exact opposite of a warm season native pasture, which has a lot more to offer from mid-spring until first frost in the fall.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Jackson Bowner

Your existing wheat is probably going to be at its peak for attractiveness soon and regardless, it will be harvested early summer leaving you with an empty field until probably this coming fall. You can do a lot to create some diversity with high protein plots that the deer will love. Brassicas would be a good choice for right now, as would be clovers mixed with some other annual. Or towards the end of July, first of August, you could plant a brassica/clover mix. The clover takes a while to establish itself so it is often suggested to plant it with another crop to help protect it from overgrazing until it gets established. If you don't have corn anywhere nearby, this could be an excellent choice as well. My suggestions are based on my location here in Michigan and depending on your location, you may have to choose different types of seed, but rest assured, there is much you can do that will be a big improvement over wheat. If you post your location, I am sure there are guys with much more knowledge than me that can recommend certain seed for your area.
X2 The only thing about planting corn is that it needs to be pretty big area at least 3-5 acres to be really that effective.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

How about some clover or alfalfa. Blackeyed peas would be another option and they are tasty as well. Where in central OK are you located.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

How about blackeyed peas. They are tastey and easy to grow. Where in central OK are you?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: okgobbler

How about some clover or alfalfa. Blackeyed peas would be another option and they are tasty as well. Where in central OK are you located.
OKC..the property is west of Piedmont.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try milo and cowpeas planted together. The cowpeas climb the milo stalks and the deer love both plants. If there are hogs in your area they will wallow it down if they find it. This one is in Garvin county last year.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2216979&mpage=1&key=milo%2ccowpe as&#2218631