HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   MIDWEST FOOD PLOTS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/242598-midwest-food-plots.html)

RT1 04-16-2008 05:58 AM

MIDWEST FOOD PLOTS

Looking at putting in asmall food plot 1/4 acre roughly. What brands / mix of seed are you using and where are you buying it. Looking at what cabela's has to offer and the reviews are pretty good to read.

Steven McBee 04-16-2008 06:00 AM

RE: MIDWEST FOOD PLOTS

imperial whitetail
biologic

i think we got them at cabelas

kickin_buck 04-16-2008 06:09 AM

Check with you local FS. I purchase all my seed from the FS just down the road from me and I get the seed at more than half off what name brand (Biologic, Tecomate) cost. Most of the FS' will mix whatever seed you want/need and do in the ratio that you want/need it. They can also helpyou decide what to go with by telling you what the other guys are getting mixed. Good luck!!!!!

JT 04-16-2008 11:26 AM

We did it the way kickin_buck is talking about in WI. I think we had them mix up rye, clover, rape, and turnips. Good price for alot of seed. We planted 5 plots.

RT1 04-16-2008 01:00 PM

I kinda liked the seed that you didn't have to til up the ground alot. How much fert. and lime to use is questionable. Is everyone checking ph levels?

bowmanaj 04-16-2008 01:55 PM

Im using whitetail institute of north america clover/alfafa mix. It sprouts within a few days and seems to be pretty hardy.. good stuff.. I also use a no-till seed mix. I actually rototill the soil then stomp it down with a big board and throw the seed on top. Sounds like a waste of time but it helps the root take hold underneath and become stronger

Adam Bowman

Southwest Ohio/Southeast Indiana

RT1 04-17-2008 05:58 AM

I have either corn or soybeans going in on the 80 acres that i hunt, depends on the year. This year it should be corn going in since last year it was bean.

My question is do i really need a food plot? I thought about offering a small plot 1/4 acre roughly with something else for them to feed on. What's the opinion out there, do i need a small plot since the 80 acres will have corn planted this year.

Rory/MO 04-17-2008 04:37 PM

we like wheat, imperial whitetail, and biologic the most
theres a ton out there that will work great for you though

RT1 04-21-2008 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: RT1

I have either corn or soybeans going in on the 80 acres that i hunt, depends on the year. This year it should be corn going in since last year it was bean.

My question is do i really need a food plot? I thought about offering a small plot 1/4 acre roughly with something else for them to feed on. What's the opinion out there, do i need a small plot since the 80 acres will have corn planted this year.
What do ya all think, do i need a food plot. I just found out he is going to do mainly soybeans again this year.
80 acres of beans all around my stands

MarquetteMagnum 04-22-2008 05:29 AM

I have the same situation only more acrage, I have some bare ground that is just aiking for a plot. My problem is that when the crops get harvested, they are gone and the field gets tilled under within a week or two. Therefor, no food. So I am, and would say yes it's worth it.