Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

MIDWEST FOOD PLOTS

Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Default MIDWEST FOOD PLOTS

Looking at putting in asmall food plot 1/4 acre roughly. What brands / mix of seed are you using and where are you buying it. Looking at what cabela's has to offer and the reviews are pretty good to read.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MIDWEST FOOD PLOTS

imperial whitetail
biologic

i think we got them at cabelas
Old 04-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check with you local FS. I purchase all my seed from the FS just down the road from me and I get the seed at more than half off what name brand (Biologic, Tecomate) cost. Most of the FS' will mix whatever seed you want/need and do in the ratio that you want/need it. They can also helpyou decide what to go with by telling you what the other guys are getting mixed. Good luck!!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:26 AM
JT
Spike

We did it the way kickin_buck is talking about in WI. I think we had them mix up rye, clover, rape, and turnips. Good price for alot of seed. We planted 5 plots.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:00 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

I kinda liked the seed that you didn't have to til up the ground alot. How much fert. and lime to use is questionable. Is everyone checking ph levels?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im using whitetail institute of north america clover/alfafa mix. It sprouts within a few days and seems to be pretty hardy.. good stuff.. I also use a no-till seed mix. I actually rototill the soil then stomp it down with a big board and throw the seed on top. Sounds like a waste of time but it helps the root take hold underneath and become stronger

Adam Bowman

Southwest Ohio/Southeast Indiana
Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

I have either corn or soybeans going in on the 80 acres that i hunt, depends on the year. This year it should be corn going in since last year it was bean.

My question is do i really need a food plot? I thought about offering a small plot 1/4 acre roughly with something else for them to feed on. What's the opinion out there, do i need a small plot since the 80 acres will have corn planted this year.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

we like wheat, imperial whitetail, and biologic the most
theres a ton out there that will work great for you though
Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RT1

I have either corn or soybeans going in on the 80 acres that i hunt, depends on the year. This year it should be corn going in since last year it was bean.

My question is do i really need a food plot? I thought about offering a small plot 1/4 acre roughly with something else for them to feed on. What's the opinion out there, do i need a small plot since the 80 acres will have corn planted this year.
What do ya all think, do i need a food plot. I just found out he is going to do mainly soybeans again this year.
80 acres of beans all around my stands

Old 04-22-2008, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same situation only more acrage, I have some bare ground that is just aiking for a plot. My problem is that when the crops get harvested, they are gone and the field gets tilled under within a week or two. Therefor, no food. So I am, and would say yes it's worth it.

Quick Reply: MIDWEST FOOD PLOTS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.