Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 easiest food plot to plant in spring? >

easiest food plot to plant in spring?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

easiest food plot to plant in spring?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:53 AM

Default easiest food plot to plant in spring?

what is the easiest food plot with the least amount of tools that i can plant this spring?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: easiest food plot to plant in spring?

Whitetail Institute makes Throw and Gro, I believe is whats it called. Its what it sounds like, throw it and grow it. I have no experience with this product and I am sure that there is further work invovled, but I would say that this requires the least work of all other food plots seeds.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Spike

No easyones to do if you do it right.Take your time and do it right only a little more effort than doing them wrong.I am planting rye grass for the summer, I know not the best but I just got my lime and fertalizer out.I wanted to have something for them.I was told it will die out in july and then I will mow it and lime and fertalize again.I plan on doing some in wheat and oats the others in rape and ?? for winter,then I will start with clover and some other ideas for next spring.Lime your soil and get the ph right you will be glad you did
Old 03-30-2008, 06:02 PM

well ijust collected my soil for a biologic ph test. i need something i can plant late may early june. i was thinkin about imperial clover or maybe imperial extreme. i want something thay will attract tons of deer mostly
Old 03-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Most of Whitetail institutes stuff says to get it in the ground before April 1! I just put Whitetails Imperial Clover, Chicory, and Alfa rack plus in the ground today. If your soil is mid 6's to 7 1/2 you are good to go. The seeds are pre-inocculated to help them start. If you have access to a lawn tractor and a fence drag you can prep the ground good enough for what I mentioned.

I blew up my water pump on my truck hauling a caterpillar skid steer and was unable to get it there to finish up my tilling. I borrowed my neighbors fence drag, hauled my aerator, and lawn tractor over there and finished it up. I drug the fence around about 15 times over my seed bed and it was almost perfect. Then rolled it with aerator after I seeded to compact the seeds.

I did it in the drizzle today so the rain helped to water them down after seeding.

Cant wait!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 AM

Most of Whitetail institutes stuff says to get it in the ground before April 1! I just put Whitetails Imperial Clover, Chicory, and Alfa rack plus in the ground today.
Must be nice, we still have over 3' of snow in the bush! Was out for a cruise yesterday with the snowshoes planning things out for next month.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

I should have been more specific and said that it suggest this date for my geographic location. It was 82 degrees here on Friday of last week and sleeted yesterday....go figure!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 PM

where do you live? i thought in my reigon i could plant it until may 15
Old 04-01-2008, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Im in VA. You should have another month ahead of me to plant.