Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Too late to plant a food plot?

Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Too late to plant a food plot?

Hey guys, I was thinking about planting a food plot. Its just a thought though because I wanted some information.

Are there any decent food plots that I could plant without having too much machinery outside of a lawnmower/weed eater and hand tools? Am I too late to plant a food plot like that right now. I am located in Central Illinois. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Too late to plant a food plot?

I'm over in Adams, and I would wait another week or two unless a lot of rain is in the forcast. It is really dry around here and my plots haven't grown for about two weeks.

I regards to planting, you might see if you could borrow or rent a tiller which would really save time. using a hand tool would have you out there forever.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Definately wait a couple of weeks and conscider small honey holes in the woodswhere it gets some sunlight but not too much rake back the leaves but down some pelletized lime and fertilizer. For seeds I would use Rye, Brassicas, and a Clover.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

I still do not know if I will have access to a tiller and I would assume I wouldnt. I have been reading about the Whitetail Institute No-Plow and they have another one that also does not require you to till. Anyone have success with these?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM

A local farmer in NW Wisconsin told me that the best time to plant food plots is mid August because weeds stop seeding/sproutingby this time and your new growth won't have to compete. Apparently weeds know it's too late to sprout and reseed themselves with frost right around the corner.

Last year, I tried planting in late May and the weeds won out. My July planting wasbetter but last year my August 15th planting is the one coming in best this year. Granted it was a little slow coming in last year cause of the drought but it's by far the best plot I have going this year. Unfortunately, the local farmer didn't share his advice until after my three plantings and this year's growth confirms his theory.

Good Luck.....
Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's certainly not to late to plant a plot. In fact, here in West-Central Illinois the ideal planting time for a Fall plot is between Aug. 1 to Sept 15. For a fast growing easily broadcasted planting then I'd look to a Oats/Wheat/Brassica planting. In fact, I would suggest Bio-Logic Green Patch Plus, it's cheap and super easy to grow.

Buck Forage Oats is also a super easy to plant choice and it grows extremely fast. You'll have a thick, great lookin' plot in only a couple weeks.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

IL-Cornfed,
Could you tell me if that Bio-Logic Green Patch Plus is a no-till or no-plow mixture? As I mentioned, I am VERY limited in terms of farm equipment. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 PM

To add to this post... is it to late for clover??
Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never too late for a plot.

If you've got 6 weeks till Heavy frost - you can can plant most any clover plot. Sometimes Fall planted clovers are the best plots - NEXT YEAR,

FH

Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

So, does everyone usually do a PH test? I am pretty sure I don't want to go through the hassle of a PH test, unless it is neccessary. The area I am planning on using was a nice cornfield just 2 years ago. However, since it was harvested that year, nothing has been done with it.

Do you still think that the PH is alright?