Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What about buckwheat?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What about buckwheat?

One of the farmers, whose land I hunt, told me that his father used to grow buckwheat on their farm many years ago for their own use. He said that, even though there weren't nearly as many deer around back then, his father decided to stop growing it because the deer were chowing down on it big time. Other normally desireable crops could flourish, butthe buckwheat was kept mowed by the deer. He said he wasn't sure how available it is today since it's not commonly planted around his area (Western Md). Does anyone have any experience with buckwheat that would make it something I might want to include in my food plots? Desireability, availability, price, etc.?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:23 AM

Default RE: What about buckwheat?

From what I've seen here and there, buckwheat seems to be a little strange in the food plot world. Most (I think) tend to look at it as a soil builder more than food source for the critters.But from what I've seen, the deer really hammer it in upstate NY (first year it was new to them and they didn't touch it for a while). It is cheap to plant at less then a dollar a pound and does pretty well at shading out weeds. It will not take any freezing weather at all, so its strictly a summer crop. Many will plant it in spring after all danger of frost, thenfollow it up with something for fall/winter later in summer.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Yes great nutrition for deer and great for the dirt. I would highly suggest it, wether the deer eat it or not just work it back in the late summer and it help raise the p k in the top soil.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I plan on planting some this year with sunflowers in the mix, in theory the buckwheat will grow quickly,flower then die back allowing the sunflowers to come up and flower.
I read this on an organic farming website somewhere so I will let you guys know how it goes. I have 50lbs of buckwheat seed so it should cover about an acre.

It is also supposed to make good cover for game birds and other small game as well.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:01 AM

I planted buckwheat last year in May and disked what was left standing back in either late June or early July and started getting a new volunteer crop. Deer like it, it helps the soil , disks real easy, grows in about any type soil and the seed is cheap compared to other seed. I think it will grow without fertilizer. I am in northwest Georgia and I bought it at Cooper Seed Company. Check them out on the internet