Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

ideal plot

Old 02-11-2003, 05:21 PM

Default ideal plot

alright i bowhunt probably a 150 acre woods....its more of a rectangular shape...on the south side is a river.....the east side is a 100 acre crp field with a 20 acre corn/bean feld splitting it in two.... on the north side about half way is about a 15 acre corn/beanfield that is never picked (public ground) and the other hlf is a huge woods that is public also....the westside riverbends around to make a boarder....

there are currenlty 5 people that hunt including me that are spread out through the woods

we are thinking about putting some sort of food plot into the middle probbly 10 acres or so...

we are in cenral iowa so please keep that in mind

thans in advance
Old 02-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ideal plot

BigBuckSlaya,

I'd like to help you out, but I think I'd need to come down and hunt the property for a long weekend or two to get a feel for the land.

Sounds like you already have enough food in the area with all of the cropfields, so maybe more of a fall attractant would be a good choice. Soybeans, corn, oats, something the deer can feed on into the late fall/winter.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Ten acres is a lot of food plot for a 150 acre area. Does the plot have any logging roads? You will need to do some soil samples before you plant anything.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 02-12-2003, 04:25 PM

yes we were thinking about some sort of fall food.......here in iowa its illegal the bait so we just cant go dumping corn on the ground or nothing like that

there is a logging road that runs the length of the land and thers 4wheeler trails that run all around through it
Old 02-15-2003, 09:48 AM

what ese do you guys suggest?
Old 02-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hate to say it, but 5 people on a tract of land that small sounds like a lot of pressure to me. If pressured like that very often the better bucks will usually seek out a more safe environment.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mix a little clover and creeping red fescue in the logging roads, see how that works. It will not require a lot of it.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Do soil samples on the logging roads and plant them. Put some vitamin/mineral licks out soon. Plant openings. Be sure to do the soil samples, this is the area where failure will most likely occur.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

BigBuckSlaya -

You' ve received some good advice.

If I could add anything - it would be to add cover in strategic areas - as this sounds to be your limiting factor. You may be limited to what you can do with CRP, but if not consider adding some type of woody cover - maybe another 10-15 acres.

The Hunting pressure of 5 guys - can be alot - especially if only 35 acres is wooded (did I do my math right). However, if your guys can be patient, hunt mostly evenings only, and only hunt areas you can get in and out of without detection, - 5 guys can hunt it.