Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

[Deleted]

Old 02-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Lets talk Soybeans vs Corn.

Early I enjoy hunting soybeans, especially when they are still green. If I were planting corn or beans strictly for hunting purposes I pick corn any day though. Besides feeding on the corn, its a good hiding place and deer like to bed and travel through corn. When my places are dominantly cornfields I see many more deer that season whereas if its dominantly soybeans I see less deer. I can't wait until this season because my favorite places should be planted in more corn than beans this year.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Deer love them both, either one is a great choice. I only have corn planted. When It gets cold there is no problem seeing deer in my corn. Soybeans are just as good.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Early I enjoy hunting soybeans, especially when they are still green. If I were planting corn or beans strictly for hunting purposes I pick corn any day though. Besides feeding on the corn, its a good hiding place and deer like to bed and travel through corn. When my places are dominantly cornfields I see many more deer that season whereas if its dominantly soybeans I see less deer. I can't wait until this season because my favorite places should be planted in more corn than beans this year.
You got it Coug!! Corn anyday for me as well. Corn provides another bedding area, in comparing the 2 corn has been allot better in holding more deer in my area by a long shot.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only time I ever see deer eating corn here, is in the middle of winter, never in season.....or summer when its in a sweet phase. It'll even be left up on stalks in winter and they won't eat it. Not sure why they'll pick over lefterover grain/corn on the ground under snow when its on stalks right there. I hear you about soybeans though I'm not convinced a field of either is much better off. Corn does offer cover, but so does beans, and so does woods.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:17 AM

I guess I'd also prefer corn as opposed to soys in the event I had to pick just one.
In our hunting area of small woodlots and cover, corn really expands the habitat and of course provides food. Soys do this to some degree but not nearly as much as corn.
The perfecthunt though IMO, is a field of corn and a field of soybeans intersecting a thick stand of woody cover.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

We plant both - most often side-by-side. They both have their good points - and work well together, I don't like having to choose between either.

You can tell by the tracks here, this picture is from today- the deer are still pawing for soybeans on our property. Sure they are in the corn too - but Corn lacks protein - and soys are flushed with it. The deer will choose both when given the chance.

FH
Old 02-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

FH is right they both have their place and normally side by side is where it should be. But if you were to tie me down it would be soybeans, because, they are usefullness covers at least three seasons. Plant the in the spring for nutrition, if a forage bean may be still green in early hunting season, and for their late season draw if they produce pods. I have seen some big horns sticking up in bean fields in the middle of the day so they will bed there.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

For me, if it is "either beans or corn" then I would probably opt for corn because here in Michigan, corn is on much longer than soybeans. Soybeans are typically harvested within the first week or two of October. This year they were actually taken off my field October 2nd so I didn't really getmuch "hunting time" benefit from them. I do benefit from the high protein in the beans and the fact that the deer favor them all spring and summer. Corn on the other hand was taken of very early too, but it was the first week of November before it was harvested. Having said all that, whenever soybeans are planted, the deer seem to come in from all over to feed on the the soybean leaves. The biggest bucks I have ever seen around my property were residents when beans were planted. They just LOVEEEE soybeans. Once they were harvested, a few of the bigger bucks moved out of the area, but some stayed, so while I didn't havemuch hunting time over the beans, they still benefited me greatly. The short of all this is, if at all possible, plant both. Although the beans will be the favored food all spring and summer, corn will be a hot place to hunt late season. And here in Michigan anyways, most of your hunting timewould bebe after the beans are gone and the standing will corn provide good food and cover.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.