HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Jackson Bowner
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lets talk Soybeans vs Corn.

For me, if it is "either beans or corn" then I would probably opt for corn because here in Michigan, corn is on much longer than soybeans. Soybeans are typically harvested within the first week or two of October. This year they were actually taken off my field October 2nd so I didn't really getmuch "hunting time" benefit from them. I do benefit from the high protein in the beans and the fact that the deer favor them all spring and summer. Corn on the other hand was taken of very early too, but it was the first week of November before it was harvested. Having said all that, whenever soybeans are planted, the deer seem to come in from all over to feed on the the soybean leaves. The biggest bucks I have ever seen around my property were residents when beans were planted. They just LOVEEEE soybeans. Once they were harvested, a few of the bigger bucks moved out of the area, but some stayed, so while I didn't havemuch hunting time over the beans, they still benefited me greatly. The short of all this is, if at all possible, plant both. Although the beans will be the favored food all spring and summer, corn will be a hot place to hunt late season. And here in Michigan anyways, most of your hunting timewould bebe after the beans are gone and the standing will corn provide good food and cover.