Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

NWTF seed?

Old 02-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NWTF seed?

I searched the NWTF sight with not alot of results of info. Also did a search here, no results. So thought I'd ask. I recently rec'd a newsletter of the NWTF selling what they call Strut and Rut seed. The seed contains annual rye grass, red clover,white clover,alfalfa, and birdsfoot trefoil in the mix. There is a northeast or midwest blend. Anyone have any other info on this seed. The price seems very reasonable in their offer. I was more curious on if this seed could tolerate dry conditions. I was orginally thinkng of planting Alfa Rack for that reason. I've been working on this plot for over a yr preparing it for planting this spring after soil tests, plowing, and limeing. Any info on this seed be appreciated!
Old 02-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NWTF seed?

Not familiar with it. Why not try chufas? Guarantee that they love them.

www.chufas.com

Old 02-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry about that. Take off the s

www.chufa.com

Old 02-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I planted both rut and strut and chufa last summer in Delaware and it turned out to be the biggest waste of time, money, effort and land. We worked up a nice patch of clover to get the land ready for this junk and should have left the clover in. It did NOTHING, I am not sure it even germinated,but fall grass took it over and not a sign of any thing coming up at all. Dont waste your money or time, ours also came from NWTF.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:51 PM

BA:
Well I can report that we have planted many pounds of strut and rut and have had great success withit. the key to any food plot is the preperation of the area you are going to plant. Lime and Fert. it properly. We purchase it every year at the discounted price because we are NWTF members. It come up great and the rape grows great the first year. the deer and turkey love it. It also did well this year during the drought here in PA. Again preparing the area that will be planted is very very important. We have been doing food plots and QDM for over 5 years and the results are great.

Keepum In The Kill Zone!
Old 02-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

We farm over 6,000 that's 6 thousand acres so we do how to prep a piece of ground, it might hasve been caused by the dry weather , but it turned out to be sh$$.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

Ron, do you use any of the organic fertilizers?

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42