Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food plots

Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM

Default RE: My Turks

I don't know about Missouri but here in Michigan soys are on the top of the preferred food list, then corn, and then cool season grains. What I'm thinking of doing this year is a late planting of soys and then over seeding in the fall with rye or winter wheat to fill it in.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Default RE: Food plots

Try pasnips, they even reseed themselves, food value twice of carrots. We buy the culls @ $2 a bin/16 buchels, have feed 10 bins this winter and set up my game cam. My brother has tried different crops, but where can you get food any cheaper, no farming just get 2 bins droped off in the truck and either drive the truck to the feed plot or into the bucket of the tractor. Wateing for fall to see how my 12 pointer faired over winter.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Spring= Alfalfa!
Planted a hay field in alfalfa a few years back. Done everything right... ie sprayed roundup to kill all other grasses, soil test, fert/lime.... first year we had a good crop, second year much less, third year gone.... Long and short is that we spent way too much money for what we got. My ground really isn't suited for alfalfa. Now I just overseed my fields with Lidino clover when i fertilize. Obviously it doesn't provide the nutrition as alfalfa but it is cost effective. the grass on my farm is 90% fescue, I know fescue gets a bad rap, but if it wasn't for fescue I wouldn't stay in business.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food plots

Thought this might get better action in this forum.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

The only thing I would say is save your AWP for your winter plots.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 AM

I'm in Reynolds Co. so know what your talking about with the hills and hollars, and dealing with cattle. If you have a good bottom field, at least 3 acres, andyou can keep the cattle out of it, forage soybeans mixed with some grain sorgham would be a good plot from June to January if you do it right, and get a decent yield. Other than that, plant about 60% in a clover/chicory mix, and about 40% in a mix of brassicas, AWP, Oats, and CG Rye. Great for nutrition, great for hunting, and it will grow well where you live. Not everybody out there knows what it's like to disk a field and pull a millon rocks!