Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Feeding year round

Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 AM

Default Feeding year round

I've had a feeder up last year for the first time and I took it down when the Fields around me were planted. At the beginning of this year I put it back up around two months into the season. The deer came to it even though the fields still had crops, just not as much as they do when there aren't any crops. Q. So you think that a feeder should supply food year round or take it down, and if the answer is to take it down when?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Feeding year round

SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO FEED THE DEER ALL YEAR, BUT IT REALLY DOESN'T HELP THE DEER OUT IN THE WINTER TOO MUCH (DEBATED TOPIC) ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE ONLY USING CORN. IT CAN HELP THE HERD IF YOU GET THE RIGHT PROTEIN LEVELS IN IT. NOW WHAT YOU WERE CREATING IS A DEER "ROUTINE". IT ONLY TAKES A MONTH TO START A ROUTINE, GIVE OR TAKE. SO IF YOU SO WANT YOU CAN STOPOR SLOW DOWN FEEDING THE DEER AFTER YOU ARE DONE HUNTING AND RE-START AGAIN 1 OR 2MONTH BEFORE YOU HUNT. NOW IN NO WAY ARE YOU TOTALLY SUPPLIMENTING THE DEERS DIET IN THE WINTER, SO IT CAN BE DEBATED THAT YOU ARE JUST THROWING AWAY MONEY. RATHER IF YOU WANT YOU CAN PM ME AND I CAN SHOW YOU WHAT TO DO TO GIVE THE DEER THE PROPER PROTEIN LEVELS THAT THEYCOULD USEIN THE WINTER.