Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Theft free feeder?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Theft free feeder?

I had a tripod feeder and a stand stolen from the same general area this past fall. I supplemental feed the herd here....and was wondering if there are feeders out there that would be hard to steal???? What could I do to make a feeder that was nearly impossible to steal?

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:48 AM

Default RE: Theft free feeder?

IF YOU USE A HANGING FEEDER ON A WINCH. PEOPLE AND MOST IMPORTANTLY BEARS CAN'T TAKE THEM. I PUT SO MUCH WORK INTO MINE. I'VE NEVER LOST ONE. IF SOME ONE CAN TAKE MINE DOWN, THEY CAN HAVE THEM. I TAKE MY WINCH HANDLE OFF EACH VISIT AND I PUT A LOCK ON THE WINCH WHEEL. EVEN IF THEY MANAGE TO CLIMB EACH TREE WITH ALL THE TOOLS NEEDED, THE WEIGHT OF THE BARREL WOULD STOP THEM. MINE HOLD ABOUT 325LBS, IN ABOUT 20-30FEET OF AIR. IF THEY CUT THE STEEL CABLES, LORD HELP THEM. I CAN'TEVEN THINK ABOUT THE FORCE BEHIND THAT AND THE DAMAGE IT WOULD DO TO THE FEEDER AND THEM. HERE IS S LINK TO A POST ON HERE THAT HAS SEVERAL PHOTOS OF MY SET UP. http://www.hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2307019&mpage=2&key=&#235045 7JUST LOOK FOR MY NAME.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

This idea might work, we use it to keep cows and hogs from knocking over our feeders but it might keep you from getting yours stolen.

Take three seven foot T-post and drive them about three foot in the ground. Then take a heavy gage wire (in your case maybe even barbed wire) and wrap it from the T-post to the feeder legs. For anti-theft, use a lot of wire and don't make it where if the thieves break one piece of the wire they can take the whole thing. Make them work for it if they really want it. (I hope that makes since)
Old 12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

CEMENT THEM INTO THE GROUND!