Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Site prep for new plot

Old 01-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Site prep for new plot

I've decided to take the plunge and start some plots on part of my property which is an open white spruce forest. I have a number of 1/4 acre clearings which have short grass and seem suitable. The soil pH is about 6.5. Based on what I've read here I think I will start with a white clover/rye mix.
My question is how should I prep the site? Should I spray with roundup after the existing vegetation starts to grow and break ground later in the year or just break up the ground in early spring and plant into the moist soil. If I spray first I wouldn't get a planting in until July and we don't get much rain at that time. I don't have a big tractor or plow so will be tilling the ground with a rototiller. Another option is to forget the seeding and just plant a couple of dozen apple trees. Our growing season is fairly short - about 100 frost free days.
Any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Site prep for new plot

borealboy; if you do an internet search for Manitoba dept. of Agriculture (Morden) you should be able to find info on the short season, disease resistant apples that they've been developing. I don't know you're exact location but most the the soil around Thunder Bay are sandy, organic soils. These are usually pretty deficient in nutrients. Get a full soil test.

Otherwise; the easy way to plant is to kill the present vegetation with Roundup then overseed. You'll need to take the Growers pesticide course before you can buy herbicide in commercial quantities.

Dan O.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Dan O.

How soon in the spring can I spray with roundup and how soon after that can I plant? I'm guessing that the vegetation has to grow a bit before roundup would be effective?
Old 01-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The vegetation has to be actively growing as you want green leaf surface to spray/wipe it onto. I's be guessing May in your area. You can actually take a crop off the land the day after Roundup has been applied and still get the herbicide effect. Yes, the livestock will eat it, supposedly without harm. It has no residual effect in the soil so you can replant as soon as the vegetation browns (A week or so). Buy a field crop production guide at the local Ministry of Agriculture and Food (OMAFRA) office.

Dan O.