Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Barrel Prep

Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Default New Barrel Prep

I recently received my 50 cal encorebarrel back from T/C. The barrel is completely free of bore butter and has only a very light coat of oil in it. My question is should I use Remington Kleen Bore ML primers or a different primer to ignite the Shocky Gold. Trying to avoid the gas ring build up if that is possible. I will not be using BB again and will only be patching with a mix of windex and alcohol patches, and dry patches. If anyone has any solid advice it will be greatly appreciated. Thank-You just Rod
Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Default RE: New Barrel Prep

i like either cci, winchester or winchester 777 primers. I used kleanbore primers before and they were dirty as hell.

As for oil in the barrel, i stopped doing that with all of my muzzleloaders.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks Gander, any particular favorites, or were they all about the same? I am thinking that Kleen Bore is mis-named and oil is no more, only very lite when stored for an extended period.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 PM

I like to use rem oil on the outside of my barrels. I dont oil the insides, although i used to and rem oil always worked best for me.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

If you're shooting loose powder, I like the Remington Kleenbore Primers best. If shooting pellets then I like the Winchester W209 the best. Shockey Gold like APP will be hard to light in damp conditions, so keep your powder dry. Be sure and swab that oil out of the barrel first, before loading. Use an alcohol patch and then some dry patches. Then shoot off a couple primers and load it up. Good luck. Keep us posted how the SG works for you.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:09 AM

Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted as to how things are going. It will be a couple of days before I can do any test fireing, but will let you know. I am cocerned about corrosion in the barrel, but from what I have read on this forum, it does not seem to be a problem.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

After cleaning at the end of a shooting session I coatbarrel with a patch of RemOil with Teflon. Before shooting next time Iruna alcohol damp patch down the barrel twice followed by a couple of dry ones.