Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Quick food plot revival?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Quick food plot revival?

Hi everyone, new to the boards, but have a quick question. My dad has kept our food plot up for the past 2 years, but he is in Iraq now and I have no way to contact him about it. We used to have it full of clover, but I went to look at it for the first time this year and it has been tilled up, leaving a little clover behind, but not enough. I might be in a bind, but season starts November 17th, and I was wondering if there was some miracle to revive it a little by then. I was thinking clover, then immediately nitrogen... HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Quick food plot revival?

You say it had been tilled up, did someone plant it or prepare it for planting? If not I would get out there asap and broadcast some Buck Forage Oats and drag them in with something (about 120 pounds per acre with about 250 pounds per acre of triple 13). I planted mine the end of Sept and they were up about 3" in 7 days. Don't know where you are located, but fall planted clover that I have been around grows kinda slow and usually we don't have it up high enough to graze till late Jan or so.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:10 PM

Wow thanks for the quick reply. I am located in north Louisiana, getting colder as the days go by, but still pretty warm in the afternoons. The food plot was probably tilled up to get replanted, but my dad had to leave for Iraq a while back and probably didn't have a chance to finish. I will definately take your advice, I have plenty of triple 13, and I am weary of putting 46-0-0 nitrogen out since we haven't been getting much rain. Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks for your help once again. I got 4 bags of oats today and I will get triple 13, spread tomorrow, and pray for rain.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck with the oats. They work very well for me on our places in OK. Weno longer spend big bucks for Plot Spike Oats or Buck Forage Oats. Did a test this year in one big plot: Planted half of it in Plot Spike Oats and the rest in Race Horse Oats. The deer prefer the cheap Race Horse Oats.