Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Foot placement

Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Foot placement

I have a problem when I am up in my climber, the platform is only two feetand I keep over stepping nearly falling out of the stand. What is the best way to practice on the ground(feet postion) a friend of mine suggested that I tiea short string around my ankles like boxers do when training. Any suggestions.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Foot placement

I practiced for a couple of months standing in my climber 15' up a tree.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM

90% of of my shots out of a stand I'm setting down on my butt, You must practice feet postion, because what your doing by that is realy is praticeing is you shoulder angle, thats way they say to put your right foot a little in front of your lift and to keep you feet apart as wide as your shoulders is to keep you from having you shoulder 90 degres with your target . This gives you more leverage and to give you more string clearance for your arm. Once you learn this you can set your butt are on your knee and make good shots and always bend at your waist to aim lift ,right, up or down , do not use your arm or head to move your pin to the target. I lot of bowhunters shoot high out of a tree stand because they bent there head down to shoot and this makes them shoot high out of a tree stand, They do make sand paper tape you can put on your stand to help you from shipping
Old 10-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

just curious, what climber??
Old 10-17-2007, 01:42 PM

It's a summit viper.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

90% of of my shots out of a stand I'm setting down on my butt, You must practice feet postion, because what your doing by that is realy is praticeing is you shoulder angle, thats way they say to put your right foot a little in front of your lift and to keep you feet apart as wide as your shoulders is to keep you from having you shoulder 90 degres with your target . This gives you more leverage and to give you more string clearance for your arm. Once you learn this you can set your butt are on your knee and make good shots and always bend at your waist to aim lift ,right, up or down , do not use your arm or head to move your pin to the target. I lot of bowhunters shoot high out of a tree stand because they bent there head down to shoot and this makes them shoot high out of a tree stand, They do make sand paper tape you can put on your stand to help you from shipping

I agree 100% with this statement.

I just made a little video addressing this issue to some degree.

Will be posting later.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

You really do not need a string around your feet to keep them close together and it could cause a hazard if you rotate too far and loose your balance with your bow in your hand. Just look down and make sure they are close. practicing from the stnad is the best thing you can do. Heck, you could put both feet together and practice shooting rotated as far as you can to the right to really make sure you cna take odd angle shots. If your form is good you can repeat a shot in just about any angle imaginable.